Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How I Stopped Worrying and Learned To Make a Game

+5
Caprizant
Truthseeker4449
returnofmastercrazyhand
Greece
Lief Katano
9 posters

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

How I Stopped Worrying and Learned To Make a Game - Page 9 Empty Re: How I Stopped Worrying and Learned To Make a Game

Post by Lief Katano 28th August 2014, 9:06 pm

Not at all. RPG Maker uses just one formula (at least for the base damage), while Final Fantasy uses multiple. Just for reference's sake, the attacks' damage formulas are (mat = magic attack, mdf = magic defense, a. refers to the user, b. refers to the target):
Fo̱tiá Pnév̱ma: a.atk * 2 + a.mat * 3 - b.def * 1 - b.mdf * 3
Krýo Zó̱ni̱: a.atk * 3 + a.mat * 1.5 - b.def * 1.5 - b.mdf * 1.5
I̱lektrikí̱ Apergía: a.atk * 6 + a.mat * 1 - b.def * 3 - b.mdf * 1
Máv̱ro Ánemos: (a.mhp - a.hp) * 2 - b.def * 1
Kólasi̱ Neroú: a.atk * 1 + a.mat * 3.5 - b.def * 0.5 - b.mdf * 3.5
Ádi̱ Gi̱s: a.atk * 7 + a.mat * 0.5 - b.def * 3.5 - b.mdf * 0.5
Skoúro Syntriví̱: a.atk * 4 + a.mat * 2 - b.def * 2 - b.mdf * 2

(Apergía tou Thanátou has no damage calculation, just a flat "are you dead?" check. Which is 100% unless the enemy has Death resistance, such as a boss.
Also don't ask me why the magic defense multiplier is the same as the magic attack multiplier.)
Lief Katano
Lief Katano

: If I had a gil for all the fiends...

Myers-Briggs Type : ~nope~
Alignment : Lawful Neutral

Back to top Go down

How I Stopped Worrying and Learned To Make a Game - Page 9 Empty Re: How I Stopped Worrying and Learned To Make a Game

Post by Nopon 28th August 2014, 9:19 pm

Sure we could just go the whole used to have younger siblings route :p

I have a tendency to slowly get darker in my stories so be sure to reel me back in :p
Nopon
Nopon

: Not a Shark Bully

Myers-Briggs Type : INFP-T

Back to top Go down

Post by Lief Katano 28th August 2014, 11:41 pm

I've hit a bit of a snag when making romch's stealing skills: I can't both add a stat debuff to the enemy and a stat bonus to romch.
Lief Katano
Lief Katano

Back to top Go down

Post by Nopon 29th August 2014, 10:31 am

is the issue limited number of effects or not being able to target both foe and caster at once?

also got an idea for shipping lane! The enemies there are able to inflict 'love' a status that makes a target unable to attack the foe that cast it on them some of the time. Charles is the only one immune to that status because he is a 'heart breaker'. He also gets an ability that lets him grant status effect immunity to an other target, and also like a cleanse move to remove status ailments.
Nopon
Nopon

Back to top Go down

Post by Lief Katano 29th August 2014, 12:51 pm

Lux wrote:is the issue limited number of effects or not being able to target both foe and caster at once?
Can't target both the foe and the user at once and I can't common event a battle-limited status effect bonus.
also got an idea for shipping lane! The enemies there are able to inflict 'love' a status that makes a target unable to attack the foe that cast it on them some of the time. Charles is the only one immune to that status because he is a 'heart breaker'. He also gets an ability that lets him grant status effect immunity to an other target, and also like a cleanse move to remove status ailments.
My only problem with this is that, as far as I know, you can't make an enemy not be targeted. There's a thing called Target Rate, which increases the rate that the person will be targeted, but as far as I know that can only affect the AI and not the players.
Lief Katano
Lief Katano

Back to top Go down

Post by Nopon 29th August 2014, 1:07 pm

perhaps instead have a variation of paralysis the way infatuation works in pokemon?

as for romch, why not seperate the stealing stats, and gaining stats to 2 attacks? one to collect stats in a bag and the other to to give them to himself, or someone in the form of a status? that way you can set that status to remove itself after combat?
Nopon
Nopon

Back to top Go down

Post by Lief Katano 29th August 2014, 3:51 pm

I might be able to make a common event that, if the move works, adds an item that boosts the in-battle stats of a guy, if that's what you mean. (Like it adds the status buff.)
Lief Katano
Lief Katano

Back to top Go down

Post by Nopon 29th August 2014, 4:00 pm

That's the thingy!
Nopon
Nopon

Back to top Go down

Post by Lief Katano 29th August 2014, 7:36 pm

Pokémon-like Charm isn't available. You can either move, or you can't.
Lief Katano
Lief Katano

Back to top Go down

Post by Caprizant 29th August 2014, 9:47 pm

Lief Katano wrote:I'unno, Cap not being too prominent kind of fits the forum well :B

Hey! I pop up when my salary starts running dry and I need to make some jokes to drive it up :B

That said, I'm a fan of keeping my character in the background. Though one thing I'd like to play up is the "incompetent, indecisive scientist" role, if you guys can work that in.
Caprizant
Caprizant
Admin

: Fresh Start! :

Myers-Briggs Type : INFJ-T
Alignment : Lawful Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Lief Katano 30th August 2014, 8:15 pm

Alright, so slight update on how things are progressing: I've made a Charm-M and a Charm-F status. Charm-M is used by male enemies, and Charm-F is used by female enemies. Charm-M is resisted by male characters, and Charm-F is resisted by female characters and Charles and excluding Lima. I probably could've just rolled it into a singular "Charm" status and made just Charles immune to it, but it would've ended up bugging me for no rational reason and it wasn't like making them was a huge effort. Charles' charm-removal skill is called Charmdi, which I stole from Persona 3. Feel free to change the name.

I added romch's Steal: Whatever skills in, along with the items. All of them are referred to as Stolen x except for Luck for a while which I called Luck Locust because of Raidou Kuzunoha 2 but I thought against it

I also made zikeep an Omega Knight, which has awful initial stats and they rise slowly, except for Speed. His initial skill is Splash which does what you think it might do and honestly the game could do without it but I couldn't resist making it.

Speaking of class titles:
If you want to change anything/need elaboration let me know.

I was thinking about having Lux's abilities be named after an emotion and then have its damage increased by its corresponding Emotion equipment. Thoughts? ...also, what emotions would the Emotion equipment represent and what would they do? Would they increase/decrease stats by a percentage or work like other pieces of equipment?
Lief Katano
Lief Katano

Back to top Go down

Post by Lief Katano 30th August 2014, 9:52 pm

About an hour later, I entered data for the first boss: Waldo the Magikarp! (Known only as Waldo.)

Battle Primer - Waldo:
Lief Katano
Lief Katano

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthseeker4449 30th August 2014, 10:05 pm

Lief Katano wrote:Alright, so slight update on how things are progressing: I've made a Charm-M and a Charm-F status. Charm-M is used by male enemies, and Charm-F is used by female enemies. Charm-M is resisted by male characters, and Charm-F is resisted by female characters and Charles and excluding Lima. I probably could've just rolled it into a singular "Charm" status and made just Charles immune to it, but it would've ended up bugging me for no rational reason and it wasn't like making them was a huge effort. Charles' charm-removal skill is called Charmdi, which I stole from Persona 3. Feel free to change the name.
Can we latinize De-Charm?

I was thinking about having Lux's abilities be named after an emotion and then have its damage increased by its corresponding Emotion equipment. Thoughts? ...also, what emotions would the Emotion equipment represent and what would they do? Would they increase/decrease stats by a percentage or work like other pieces of equipment?
Okay. So how do pieces of equipment work? Because I'm not that far along in Final Fantasy that someone has told me
Truthseeker4449
Truthseeker4449
Admin

: Killer Loli :

Myers-Briggs Type : INTP-T
Alignment : Chaotic Neutral

Back to top Go down

Post by Lief Katano 30th August 2014, 10:16 pm

Fallax gratia discutere, which honestly sounds too wordy and results in it becoming squished together.

Pieces of equipment work like this: you equip them. Your stats raise. You can add effects to them, such as gaining an HP-regeneration effect or increased evade/magic evade, or increasing stats by a percentage.
Lief Katano
Lief Katano

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthseeker4449 30th August 2014, 10:29 pm

*curses the Holy Roman Empire* CURSE YOU!!!

You have succeeded in confusing me.
Truthseeker4449
Truthseeker4449
Admin

: Killer Loli :

Myers-Briggs Type : INTP-T
Alignment : Chaotic Neutral

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next