Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fate and You: Step 4

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Fate and You: Step 4 Empty Fate and You: Step 4

Last time we saw how you do things but now we talk about your stats! Now in most games your stats determine what you do, but in the fate system, your stats determine how you do things! There are six stats, which are actually called approaches!

• Careful: You pay attention to detail and take your time making sure things go smoothly. You can carefully aim, carefully look for intruders, you get the idea.
  • Clever: To be clever requires that you think things through, and think it fast. You can solve more complex problems and keep track of more information. You could cleverly find a weak point, fix machines, you get the idea.
  • Flashy: Flashiness demands attention and is full of style and energy! Inspiring speeches, pointlessly complicated attacks, magical EXPLOSIONS!!!!
  • Forceful: You use brute force. What did you expect a big explanation?
  • Quick: Zip! Move fast, think fast, act fast! GO GO GO! Stampede? Ruuuuun! Bullet? Dooooooooooge! Bomb with 3 seconds left? DISAAAAAAAAARM!!!!!!!
  • Sneaky: I'm not hiding anything. You attempt to lie, misdirect or be sneaky and deceitful. Maybe swindle people, feinting moves, ya know, stuff like that.

You give stat points to your approaches saying how good you are at doing things that way, though it has to be in a special way:
One must be a 3
Two must be a 2
Two must be 1
One must be 0

What do the numbers actually mean?
Here you go!:

When you do something, you roll the dice and then add the appropriate approach to the total and that's how you get your result! But which approach is used? That is up to you and can be any approach...that makes sense! To make it easier on the GM when you do something make sure you use a proper adverb and go ahead and put it in italics or bold it so he can see it quickly. Examples:
Link cleverly searched for any flaw in the Darknut's armor
Ganondorf forcefully broke the chains
Tingle sneakily tried to push the boulder away

....wait, did you see the issue with that last one? To push a boulder requires force right? So he used the wrong aspect! That means rather than getting a bonus towards moving it, he just made sure nobody noticed him trying to move it! Sorry Tingle, but looks like that boulder is staying put.

There's one more thing that can help you out, and they are called stunts! Stunts are special abilities and traits which let you gain a permanent advantage depending on what you do! But they come at a cost. Perhaps you remember me mentioning Refresh when it came to Fate Points right? Well, each stung you get reduces your refresh by 1! What does that mean? That you start each mission with less Fate Points than normal! That means since we are going to go with a refresh of 3, you can have a maximum of 3 stunts. Here is how to make a stunt and how they are used, its pretty simple.

To make a stunt follow this format replacing the italics with what you want:

Because -insert character name- say what about your character lets them use this stunt. Is it equipment? A talent? Something else? -insert character name- gets a +2 when he/she pick an approach here put what action is done: Attacks, Defends, Creates Advantage, Overcomes when here you have to put the circumstance that allows you to use the stunt!

Some examples are:
Because Link is Trained by a Legend, he gets a +2 when he flashily attacks when he is using a sword
Because he has a balloon, Tingle gets a +2 when he quickly tries to create advantage or overcome and obstacle if flying would be possible and helpful

Did you notice that Tingle got 2 actions he can do to get a bonus! Its because the circumstance is far more restrictive than Link's. Using a sword to fight is easy, but being in a situation where using his balloon would be both helpful and possible is harder to find! You can only combine Create advantage and Overcome in a stunt, the rest have to be alone and the situation has to be restrictive.

There's another type of stunt. I like to call this one the Seto Kaiba Stunt. Basically it allows you to screw the rules! It can only be done once per mission, but can lead to some neat situations. Here's the template:

Because -insert character name- here say what about them allows them to do this, what's special, what gear do they have, what makes them so awesome?, once per mission I can say what you do

some examples are:
Because Zelda is Loved by her People, once per mission she can get nearby civilians to help them with any task for no cost.
Because Skull Kid is Inhumanly Fast, one per mission he can show up anywhere he wants to if he could run there, no matter where he started

There are no limits on what you can do with stunts, except for one. The GM has to approve it. Thus I introduce to you all our GM! @Lief Katano; !

Homework for today is to put the numbers into your approaches and get any stunts you want approved by Lief!
Nopon
Nopon

: Not a Shark Bully

Myers-Briggs Type : INFP-T

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Fate and You: Step 4 :: Comments

Nopon

Post 7th September 2015, 9:44 am by Nopon

Dalton:
Careful: 1
Clever: 2
Flashy: 3
Forceful: 0
Quick: 1
Sneaky: 2

Stunts:
Because Dalton can perform a Smokescreen Spell, he gains a +2 to Sneakily Create Advantage if the smoke would help him pull off something sneaky.

Because Dalton Is a Professional, he gains a +2 to Flashily Create Advantage while trying to draw attention to himself.

Refresh: 1

Back to top Go down

Lief Katano

Post 7th September 2015, 10:30 am by Lief Katano

Guessing all I have to do is make sure that a Stunt with two bonuses has a sufficiently strict condition?

If so, Dalton checks out. ...I think it's kind of nonsensical that his stunts revolve around doing opposite things (drawing attention vs. hiding), but he checks out.

Back to top Go down

Meyneth

Post 7th September 2015, 10:33 am by Meyneth

Pencuri

Careful:1
Clever: 1
Flashy: 2
Forceful:0
Quick:2
Sneaky:3

Stunts:

Since Pencuri fight with light Claws she is able to move faster(+2 to Quick) when tying to escape.

Refresh: 2

Back to top Go down

Greece

Post 7th September 2015, 10:42 am by Greece

I have absolutely no idea what I’m doing, and so these stunts are probably pretty bad

Gwen

Careful: 2
Clever: 1
Flashy: 1
Forceful: 2
Quick: 3
Sneaky: 0

Stunts:
Because Gwen can use Deku Nuts she gains a +2 when she needs to escape

Because Gwen can create a ‘shock wave’ with the hammer she has, she gains a +2 to Forceful Create Advantage when she needs a stronger hit

Refresh: 1

I have no idea how putting refresh points work

ot any of this really

I also want to know if we’re going to include characteristics of our race, because I don’t know if I should include those in these parts or if there will be a section for it

Back to top Go down

Lief Katano

Post 7th September 2015, 10:47 am by Lief Katano

Both of you guys are good. I'm not entirely certain if "Escaping" is a valid trigger, though

Each Stunt takes away 1 Fate Point whenever a Refresh happens. Pencuri has only 1 Stunt, so she gets 2 FP whenever a Refresh occurs. Gwen, on the other hand, has 2 Stunts, so she only gains 1 Fate Point per refresh.

Back to top Go down

Greece

Post 7th September 2015, 10:51 am by Greece

Do you have any idea on what would be a better trigger, because I couldn't think of anything better at the time

Back to top Go down

Lief Katano

Post 7th September 2015, 11:10 am by Lief Katano

Going off of Lux's examples, it should be like:

Because Gwen can use Deku Nuts, she gets a +2 to Sneaky Create Advantage when she needs to distract something.

(I'll admit that I'm not sure if throwing a nut that creates a blinding light is best for "Sneaky", but it's the best I could think of on the fly.)

(Also I'd think that her second Stunt would be "+2 Forceful Attack when she needs a stronger hit.)

Back to top Go down

returnofmastercrazyhand

Post 7th September 2015, 11:58 am by returnofmastercrazyhand

Mitigim
careful: 0
clever: 2
flashy: 2
forceful: 1
quick: 3
sneaky: 1

stunts:

because Mitigim is actually working for someone else behind the scenes, once per mission, he can communicate with his true role model/read someone else's thoughts via magical telepathy.

Back to top Go down

Greece

Post 7th September 2015, 12:36 pm by Greece

Lief Katano wrote:Going off of Lux's examples, it should be like:

Because Gwen can use Deku Nuts, she gets a +2 to Sneaky Create Advantage when she needs to distract something.

(I'll admit that I'm not sure if throwing a nut that creates a blinding light is best for "Sneaky", but it's the best I could think of on the fly.)

(Also I'd think that her second Stunt would be "+2 Forceful Attack when she needs a stronger hit.)

You seem to be a lot better at this than I am @__@

Back to top Go down

Lief Katano

Post 7th September 2015, 12:54 pm by Lief Katano

zero 2 wrote:Mitigim
careful: 0
clever: 2
flashy: 2
forceful: 1
quick: 3
sneaky: 1

stunts:

because Mitigim is actually working for someone else behind the scenes, once per mission, he can communicate with his true role model/read someone else's thoughts via magical telepathy.
I'm going to have to pass a veto on this. One is because "actually working for someone behind the scenes" isn't really a cause for telepathy. Contrast with the other Stunt Causes, which have a spell, an item, or being a professional (knowing what the hell you're doing) as the Cause.

Two is because it doesn't really seem to stick with his character. His main schtick is that he's trying to be the new Hero of Time. He has a "bad" true role model, and perhaps isn't the best morally, but he's trying to suppress that. Having the ability to consort with this mysterious true role model and/or reading minds seems to be the exact opposite of that.
Greece wrote:
Lief Katano wrote:Going off of Lux's examples, it should be like:

You seem to be a lot better at this than I am @__@
Analysis, experience, and the ability to bluff so that you appear to know what the hell you're doing.

Back to top Go down

Nopon

Post 7th September 2015, 1:08 pm by Nopon

That's how Lief got the job :D

I was thinking of having certain mandatory stunts to try to balance out the races but figured I'd throw that out the window and see what happens, if you want I can post some of the ideas I had relating to deku scrubs and poes :V

For escaping, I'd say that would fall under create advantage or overcome, and throwing blinding lights would be sneaky since after they get blinded they can't see you :V

I second Lief's veto seeing as your reason for being able to read minds doesn't really have anything to do with telepathy

For the shockwave thing, it depends on if the shockwave can hurt or just knocks people off their feet

Back to top Go down

returnofmastercrazyhand

Post 8th September 2015, 11:40 am by returnofmastercrazyhand

but how about the communicate part, remove the read minds part.

Back to top Go down

Lief Katano

Post 8th September 2015, 12:28 pm by Lief Katano

But how would you communicate?

Back to top Go down

returnofmastercrazyhand

Post 8th September 2015, 2:42 pm by returnofmastercrazyhand

via a special altar.
but there would have to be 1 altar a mission for it to work, no altar, no way to communicate, and it's optional if you want to include an altar in a mission.

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next