Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fate and You: Part 3

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fate and You: Part 3  Empty Fate and You: Part 3

Last time we learned about aspects, but now we learn about actually doing things! How do you do things? You say you do them! But there's a little more to it than that!

Firstly, every action you can take which would require a roll from the GM falls into 4 categories. Create advantage, Overcome situation, Attack, and Defend. Before I go more into detail about what those are, you should be aware of how rolls work!

Rather than using lots of different dice, we only use 4 special ones (or in this case a roll generator) If you clicked the link you would see a bunch of stuff but at the top four symbols. They could be made of 0 + and -. Next to them is a number between -4 and 4. The number there is the result of the roll! The GM sets a value you gotta reach, then someone rolls (probably the GM will roll for you in this case) and then something will happen depending on which of the 4 actions you're taking! There are normally 4 outcomes, Failure (roll too low), Tie (roll just right), Success (roll high), and Stylish Success (roll 3 more than the needed amount).

Create Advantage: Basically, this is the equivalent of status effects in most games. You attempt to either create or discover an aspect. The types they create are Situation or Boost aspects, the main point behind this is to either give you an advantage, or give a disadvantage to your opponent (or learn about an aspect that you are unaware of which would give/take advantage, such as if the opponent has a weakness). Of course, if your target is an opponent, they can try to defend! For this there are 4 possibilities!

• Failure: It backfires! Instead of creating an aspect to help you, you create one to harm you, or give the opponent advantage! Example: You attempt to Lock on but you roll bad, thus you end up becoming Distracted by trying to lock on! Of course if the GM is feeling merciful and you just barely failed they might just rule that nothing happens.
  • Tie: You create a Boost and get one free invocation! Once used, the Boost goes away
  • Success: You create a Situation Aspect that you or an ally can invoke once for free!
  • Stylish Success!: You create a Situation Aspect which you or an ally can invoke twice for free between the two of you!

You might have noticed the work 'invoke', I'll explain invoking later on, that's why this one is so long!

Overcome Situation: This is the opposite of create advantage! You try to either change or remove an aspect that is either giving you a disadvantage, or the opponent an advantage. A simple example would be unlocking a locked door. Of course, using it on an opponent gives them the chance to defend. Like before, there are 4 possible outcomes.

• Failure: You get two options here. You can simply fail, or you can succeed at a serious cost. Serious cost could be you, or an ally, suffers harm, or you lose an important item you have. The GM will decide what the cost will be if you choose this path, just remember, make sure what you're so desperate to accomplish is worth it.
  • Tie: You succeed, but at a minor cost. This could be losing an item, or an issue arises. Perhaps you unlocked the door, but what was behind it?!
  • Success: You accomplish your goal!
  • Stylish Success!: You accomplish your goal, but do it in such a way that you actually get a boost from it! Remember the locked door? You opened it and surprised the thugs inside, giving you an advantage against them!

Attack: You launch the offensive! What more did you expect? Outcomes!

• Failure: Your attack does nothing! Example: Your punch hits the villain's chest and they laugh it off.
  • Tie: Your attack does no damage, but it gives you a boost! Example: Your punch hits the villain's chest, and even though they barely felt it, now they're slightly off balance!
  • Success: Your attack does damage! Example: Your punch hits the villain's chest and they feel hurt!
  • Stylish Success!: Your attack does damage! Also, if you want, you can reduce damage by 1 and gain a boost! Example: Your punch hurt the villain and now they're slightly off balance!

Defend: See the other three? Well, if you try to prevent them, you are defending! This usually happens during someone else's turn and has three results:

• Fail: You are at your opponent's mercy
  • Tie or Success: Things don't get too crazy, basically your opponent gets their Tie/Failure effect
  • Stylish Success!: Your opponent fails, and you get a boost!

One more thing you can do before a dice roll, you can provide Help, meaning you give up your turn in order to help somebody perform an action, giving them +1 to their roll. There are two catches though: 1. You have to describe how you help and the GM has to rule whether that actually helps or not
2. The GM decides how many people can help before you start getting in each other's way

There, now you know how stuff like that works! What's that? You think just being at the mercy of the dice is unfair? What if, what if I told you that....the future is ours to decide?

We have one major trick up our sleeves, that trick are the aspects, and our power to influence fate!

Lets begin with the most important currency we have, Fate Points! We each start out with a refresh of 3 (more on refresh later), meaning that we have a minimum of 3 fate points at the start of each mission, though if you end the previous mission with more than 3 then you get to continue with those points. Now what do these do? Lets imagine the following scenario!

Link is Defending against Ganondorf's mind control spell, and fails horribly! Now he must obey the Dark King D:
What's this? Link has a Fate Point! He uses it to invoke his aspect Goddess' Chosen. As Goddess' Chosen he is given strength against Ganondorf's dark magicks, thus his fate is changed! He now is able to ward off the mind control spell and keep fighting!

That's right, Fate Points let us control our destinies! But now onto the mechanics of it. When you invoke an aspect, you pay one Fate Point and then one of 4 results occur:

• You get a +2 to the dice roll you just had
  • You can reroll the dice roll
  • Add +2 to somebody's difficulty roll(total needed to perform an action) making it harder for them to succeed
  • Add +2 to an ally's roll, thus they get help and you keep your turn!

Now then, invoking aspects isn't just something you can do. In fact, the GM can do it too! There is a difference in how the GM can do it though, they get another way to use aspects called compelling. Basically the GM can offer you 1 Fate Point in exchange for making one of your aspects kick in against you.

Link and some soldiers are hiding in a castle recovering from severe injuries. Link is about to use his red potion to heal but what's this? The GM compels Link's Selfless Hero. Link now has two choices, accept the Fate Point and then give the red potion to a soldier and thus enter the next battle severely injured, or he can pay a Fate Point and ignore the compel and then heal himself. The question is, what will he pick?

That's right, you can defend against a compel by paying a Fate Point, but if you have none then you can't defend against it! On the other hand, if you accept the compel, things can get interesting and you get a Fate Point for use later. Risk vs Reward anyone?

Another way compels can work is easy.

Tingle has done it. He finally found a potion to turn him into a fairy! What's this? GM compelled his aspect Unlucky Dreamer and caused him to drop the potion! He had no Fate Points so he had to go with it D:

The GM can also use aspects to make things happen to really make things interesting, far more crazy than Tingle dropping his potion! If you have questions on Fate Points and Aspects feel free to ask, as you all have homework now! We all now have a High Concept, Trouble, and one basic aspect, as well as a name! Now I want you to come up with two more aspects relating to other characters! This could be something as simple as "Saria's Best Friend" to maybe "Fan of Tingle's Maps". If your characters have never met, then perhaps one heard of the other before right? Secondly, an appearance :D

Also remember you can be other races besides hylian, such as deku, zora, goron, skull kid, kokiri, gerudo(though only female for obvious reasons though not obvious if you don't know the lore), poe, etc as long as it is a sentient creature with thoughts, feelings, etc.

Remember to VM/PM the person you plan to have some connection to and get permission :D

Also, just cause they know you doesn't mean you know them so you don't have to have aspects about each other :D
Nopon
Nopon

: Not a Shark Bully

Myers-Briggs Type : INFP-T

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Fate and You: Part 3 :: Comments

Nopon

Post 25th August 2015, 2:26 pm by Nopon

Appearance: Dalton is a hylian with short black hair. His eyes are black. He is around 5ft 10in and has a slim figure. He wears a long sleeved black shirt which reaches to his wrists. He had white gloves and blue pants. He has a long sky blue cape over his shirt which he normally wraps himself in. On his head is a sky blue top hat with a white stripe.

Aspects: Love her work: Dalton has a staff, a special one enchanted by whom he deems the best in the enchanting business, Gwen. He is willing to track her down in order to get it enchanted when need be.

One born every minute: Dalton has swindled many out of their hard earned cash, namely one Aariko Maplewood

Last edited by Spiky Nopon on 27th August 2015, 11:00 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Lief Katano

Post 25th August 2015, 3:12 pm by Lief Katano

From a mechanics standpoint, this is really interesting.

Back to top Go down

Greece

Post 25th August 2015, 7:47 pm by Greece

My name is strange now because I came up with the name before choosing the race :U

Appearance: Gwen’s hair is an amber color and resembles leafs mainly in her bangs.The rest of her hair slides back and down her head, and is cut shortly down at the area right above her neck. Gwen’s skin is a milky brown and her eyes are an orangey yellow and quite ovalish, instead of round circles. For clothing Gwen has a leafy orange tunic and a matching brown leafy skirt. On Gwen’s wrists and ankles she wears bright yellow vines that match her eyes. She also wears a scarf made of brown vines and a similar brown vine that acts as a sash. Gwen has a little pouch that goes around her waste that is milker than her skin and fingerless that are the same color as her scarf.

”That Gosh Darned Danged ‘Thief’” - As Gwen traveled across the land of Hyrule she has been stalked by the ‘Thief extraordinaire’ Pencuri. This petty shoplifter has been attempting to steal Gwen’s merchandise for years now, ever since she failed at pilfering said merchandise.

”I’ll travel just like that man!” - Gwen had heard of rumors and tall tales as a kid about some parallel dimension and termina -blah blah blah- the real good part of the story are with that strange mask salesman! He could go anywhere he wanted and and sell really cool merchandise too! He may have been insane, but Gwen was more interested has being an awesome traveling merchant.

also can I say that all deku scrubs should have to say words that end with a K with a ku ex/ Attackku Workku I thinkku it would be funny, buy maybe not soooooo…….

Back to top Go down

Meyneth

Post 25th August 2015, 8:49 pm by Meyneth

Appearance:Pencuri is a part of the Gerudo tride, and shares the same skin and red hair. She as cut her hair short to the point where it barely reaches her neck. She has a blue shirt with gold lining and the typical poofy pants that are blue. she has black shoes and is shorter then most Gerudos. She also has Green eyes.She also has a black cloak with a hood that she wears while stealing things.

"The Gosh Darned Danged Thief":Pencuri was unable to steal from the merchant Gwen and has been stalking Fallowing her ever since. taking every opportunity to try and steal her things.

"His skills are amazing!" While he does not call himself a thief, Pencuri has always admired how Ravio could swindle money out of anyone!

Back to top Go down

Nopon

Post 25th August 2015, 10:58 pm by Nopon

so that's the relationship you guys wanted :P

also I'm all for speech quirks, they're fun :P

Back to top Go down

Greece

Post 26th August 2015, 3:43 pm by Greece

their relationship is basically perry the platypus and dr. doofenshmirtz

also instead of thank you deku scrubs should say deku deku, because it kind ofsounds like thank you

Back to top Go down

Burnin' Bunnies

Post 26th August 2015, 3:49 pm by Burnin' Bunnies

I came up with that one *proud *
I'll make my post soon, busy with homework then band right now. :U

Back to top Go down

Greece

Post 26th August 2015, 3:54 pm by Greece

I also want to note that I spent a good 2 hours trying to decided whether Gwen should be a poe or a scrub. In the end I couldn't come up with a good poe design soooo....

Back to top Go down

Burnin' Bunnies

Post 28th August 2015, 8:41 pm by Burnin' Bunnies

Appearance: Aariko is a young Hylian boy with reddish hair and purple-blue eyes. He wears a simple, homemade tan shirt and brown pants. As the pants flare out, a blue ribbon ties them back down to fit his legs. He has a red sash on which his small item bags and precious blue jewel are kept. He wears sandals that go to his midcalf.
Image. *Warning* old art:
quick sketch I just made of full body.:

Rival Best Friend- Aariko's long time best friend, Grayson Boldlift, is strong and quite the ladies man. To Aariko, Grayson can do just about anything. He strives to beat Grayson in some manner someday and has made him his rival. Grayson likely isn't aware of this...

Dreamer- As it says on the tin. Aariko longs for adventure and greatness. He often ponders this at night as he gazes at his lucky jewel.

Back to top Go down

Nopon

Post 28th August 2015, 10:47 pm by Nopon

:O

you really have improved a lot if that's just a quick sketch!

I should draw Dalton :V

Back to top Go down

silence

Post 31st August 2015, 9:26 pm by silence

Appearance -Kharmen (Carmyn, german spelling) dead a tragic death at the age 18. She is ghostly pale, has straight black hair that seems to be wet (she did not drown). She wears a white dress that's a bit sheer near the bottom, and her weapons are daggers (more like large knives). Her arms and legs, while still there, to tend to fade out on occasion. She turns into a savage best when she feels strong emotion.
I drew a thing:
The Search- She awoken as a poe drifting in air, lost and confused. All she felt was hate and betrayal, not remembering what her past life was like. She gains few memories each day, but what she's really looking for a way to live again, and a way to regain her memories.
A Soft Center-She's actually a really nice person, under the many, many many layers of aloofness, and aggressiveness.

Last edited by TheSnazzMaster on 15th February 2016, 6:21 pm; edited 3 times in total

Back to top Go down

returnofmastercrazyhand

Post 1st September 2015, 11:49 am by returnofmastercrazyhand

I can't decide on the latter two parts yet.
but appearance is obvious.

Back to top Go down

Burnin' Bunnies

Post 1st September 2015, 11:50 am by Burnin' Bunnies

Go ahead and give it to us anyways! I wanna hear your description.

Back to top Go down

returnofmastercrazyhand

Post 1st September 2015, 12:03 pm by returnofmastercrazyhand

appearance-Mitigim dresses up like the hero of time, except he couldn't find a green tunic, so he uses purple instead. he also has brunette hair, but he dyed it blonde to match the description of what the hero looked like. he also is right handed, but knowing that the hero is a lefty, he tends to use his right hand anyway.
arrogant on the inside- he tries to hide his true personality, which is a cocky and rude young man, but sometimes his facade can wear thin, usually at the WRONG times.
a different role model?he refuses to accept himself because he says Link is his role model, but deeeeeeeeeeep down inside it is actually SOMEONE he knows full well he should not see as a role model, but does anyway because his true personality and past is much darker than he says it is.

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next