Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pokémon Direct - 2/26/2016

Go down

Pokémon Direct - 2/26/2016 Empty Pokémon Direct - 2/26/2016

Greetings, everyone! As always, I'm Lief Katano, and I'm here bringing the news on the latest Pokémon Direct directly to you! Unfortunately, due to circumstances outside of my control, this is not a liveblog, as was the case with every other Nintendo Direct blog made by yours truly. But in case you're too lazy to watch the video, or if you want to hear my opinions on this Direct, here it is!

The Direct opens with the opening to Pokémon Red. Except it's actually opening up to the Pokémon Direct, complete with weird Ishihara sprite instead of Red! Isahara's the main focus of this Direct, it seems, and he begins with a brief history of Pokémon, comparing Red and Green. To commemorate the anniversary tomorrow, he prepared a video!

It's a montage of people interacting with Pokémon throughout the ages - trading, catching, and engaging in battle. Those climactic moments - full of victory, defeat, and everything in between. The global aspect of Pokémon is also touched on. The video concludes with a new Pokémon adventure being announced - Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon! ...Well, two, I guess. Hm. A Holiday 2016 release date is announced.

Special emphasis is put on the Chinese translations to Pokémon Sun and Moon, for...some reason. I'm not sure why.

But the intent is to overcome the language barriers with Pokémon, which is cool-sounding.

Of course, Pokémon Red, Blue, and Yellow are arriving tomorrow. However, with it comes a surprise twist. You know how, while your Generation III Pokémon could continue to migrate every game up, Pokémon from Generations I and II were stuck in their games (or at least the Gen II games) until the end of time, or their battery? Well, that isn't a problem any more! ...Well, okay, it still is. Your level 100 Charizard is still going to be stuck in your Red game. However, say you got another Level 100 Charizard in the eShop version of Pokémon Red. With the power of the internet - and Pokémon Bank - you can transfer your Pokémon from Red, Blue, and Yellow to Pokémon Sun and Moon! No word on whether or not it's compatible with X, Y, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, though I'd bet not, sadly.

And, with a promise of more celebrations to come this year, Ishihara signs off.

Honestly, I thought this Direct was a little underwhelming. We barely got any information on Sun and Moon, other than it's coming to the Nintendo 3DS and Magearana is presumably in it. If it isn't, against all odds, a sequel to X and Y, all of the build-up Zygs got in the anime will amount to nothing, unless they make the equally baffling move to have it not focus on new legendary Pokémon this time. In addition, half of this Direct was spoiled by Nintendo filing a trademark application. You didn't need any 4chan-esque hacking shenanigans for that - it's for all the world to see. The other half, that you can transfer Pokémon from Red, Blue, and Yellow to Sun and Moon, is...actually pretty neat, if only because it allows setting up for some new move shenanigans, though outside of a battle simulator it's probably going to be pretty lukewarm overall. Unless you can breed the moves onto new Pokémon, which...eh.

I was going to mention there being a literal economy of Mews possible, but they could probably just block Pokémon with Mew's index number (hex 15) from being transferred over. They'd have to do something like that, anyways, given the Missingno. data in RBY.

Either way, this has been Lief Katano, signing out.
Lief Katano
Lief Katano

: If I had a gil for all the fiends...

Myers-Briggs Type : ~nope~
Alignment : Lawful Neutral

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Pokémon Direct - 2/26/2016 :: Comments

Post 26th February 2016, 5:41 pm by Guest

I like the fact that they're making Red, Blue, and Yellow somewhat compatible now with the new games (only in a limited way, but still).

As for what Sun and Moon are.... Mystery

Back to top Go down

Princess

Post 27th February 2016, 10:24 pm by Princess

I will be very disappointed if Sun and Moon are Gen. 7 games instead of Gen 6.5 games. On Bulbapedia, it says they are the " are the start of the next generation of core Pokémon game", so I'm not very optimistic.

All that build-up for Zygarde, and it amounts to nothing? Or, at the very least, is not even resolved within its own generation? I suppose it could be the chance for something unique to occur if Zygarde "rolled over" to the next generation, but I'm concerned about him fading away.

I've enjoyed the sixth generation of Pokemon immensely, but now my only desire for it is to end well.

Back to top Go down

Post 27th February 2016, 11:56 pm by Guest

If Zygarde gets ignored this generation, it wouldn't be the first time something like this happened. If I remember correctly, the Azure Flute (event key item to get Arceus in game) was never released, so Arceus never got officially released until later on.

Back to top Go down

Lief Katano

Post 28th February 2016, 8:15 am by Lief Katano

There's quite a bit of difference between Zyg's and Arceus's situation, though.

Arceus wasn't hyped up with a bunch of alternate formes and some apparent lore surrounding him. The Azure Flute was only known to hackers.

Zygs was hyped up with a bunch of alternate forms, and also had some trappings of the third-game Pokémon.

Back to top Go down

TheCapsFan

Post 28th February 2016, 9:31 am by TheCapsFan

I'll never get to use the glorious Doge of Balance... Bawling

Back to top Go down

Caprizant

Post 28th February 2016, 11:17 am by Caprizant

I highly doubt they're just gonna drop Zygarde. Sun and Moon have likely been in development for years. They wouldn't design all those forms, have a big press occasion around them, and then just drop them. They knew Gen VII was coming, so they must have some plan for them that we don't know about.

Back to top Go down

Post 28th February 2016, 12:17 pm by Guest

Maybe XY DLC? That would definitely be a first.

Back to top Go down

Princess

Post 29th February 2016, 11:22 am by Princess

Caprizant wrote:I highly doubt they're just gonna drop Zygarde. Sun and Moon have likely been in development for years. They wouldn't design all those forms, have a big press occasion around them, and then just drop them. They knew Gen VII was coming, so they must have some plan for them that we don't know about.

I'm not worried about Pokemon dropping Zygarde, it's more that I personally was hoping that they would have their own version since I've always had such a soft spot for their design.

Like I wrote, Zygarde will probably pass over to the next generation (unless some big event doesn't happen before).

Either way, Pokemon has definitely been changing things up this generation (and the last generation) in terms of their timing of releasing games and such.

Back to top Go down

Truthseeker4449

Post 29th February 2016, 2:55 pm by Truthseeker4449

What if Zygarde is a central plot figure to Sun and Moon?

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down