Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

jokool and the console wars

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

jokool and the console wars - Page 2 Empty jokool and the console wars

So, as I mentioned last night in the Galactic Arcade, I was chatting on DN with Truth, Lux, Lief, Chibi, and Gusto. The topic of consoles came up, and I was rambling a bit about which one's I've gotten and which one's I've considered getting over the years. I thought it might make a good blog subject, so here goes!

Now, way back when I was a kid, I didn't really think about which console I wanted. I was pretty happy with whatever my family had gotten me, though I think I did ask for a GBC and Pokémon Gold when they first came out. But yeah, most of the time, my mom would just send me one of her old consoles without me even asking, and I was happy with it.

What I've gotten over the years:

Okay, wow, just looked over that first part... Didn't realize that I had made it so long... I guess I like to ramble a bit... Sorry

So yeah, TL;DR, I've owned a few consoles over the years, had quite a few games, and missed out on some great games, but that's the past, and I can always check out Vizzed or try some other emulator if I want to go back in time. Now for the future:

What I've considered getting over the past couple of years:

...Geez, that was super long as well.... But boy, I've been wanting to get that all out and it felt good to do so!

But anyway: TL;DR, I'm going between getting a PS4 and a better computer, with maybe a side of Wii U (though, I think I will just stick to the 3DS for my Nintendo fix).

I doubt any of you guys will actually read through all of this, but I'd love to hear from you guys about your opinions on the current consoles/pc master race. Dreaming I'd also appreciate any advice you guys might have for me.

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

jokool and the console wars :: Comments

Truthseeker4449

Post 14th October 2015, 3:01 pm by Truthseeker4449

jokool wrote:Yeah, I have thought about checking local pawn shops and stuff for cheap consoles, but I do worry that they'll just die on me if the previous owner didn't take good care of it...
You'd probably be surprised to learn just how many people have take either that same risk or similar risks with all sorts of stuff. Even a brand new car coming off the lot can blow up within a mile.

I would ask if there's a way to see the machine run before you purchase it, if so bring a game (if they won't provide one) and just listen to it. Machines usually will talk to you when they start having a problem. For example right now I'm been hearing odd noises from my laptop, but it's an HP and I've heard that fans like to die in these computers. I'll start doing a backup soon just in case, but it is what it is. Now for a counter example, I hear the 6.4L diesel engine by Navistar will sound perfectly happy one moment, and be shitting itself the next.

I've never actually really seen a PS3 in person, but I wouldn't expect any noises beyond it initially spinning the disk up to speed and the quiet woosh of the fan. Look it over if you can, does it look really dusty inside? If so ask if there's a way they know of to clean it.

Back to top Go down

Post 14th October 2015, 3:16 pm by Guest

Yeah, before my Wii stopped playing discs, it started making a horrible noise in the disc drive, so I figured it was about to go out. I will definitely ask to see if it works before I buy anything major like a console from a pawn shop.

Back to top Go down

Meyneth

Post 14th October 2015, 3:23 pm by Meyneth

What price Range are you looking for again? Also There are a few tales game on the PS1/2, but the only one that I have experience with is Abyss, and that was the 3DS version. Here is a link to the Wikipedia papge on tales, take a look at it.

Back to top Go down

Greece

Post 14th October 2015, 3:36 pm by Greece

get tales of the abyss, my favorite one in the series

Back to top Go down

Katuna Makata

Post 14th October 2015, 3:43 pm by Katuna Makata

jokool wrote:But, nowadays, my mom doesn't buy me many video games since I'm an adult now (but I'm still a spoiled kid at heart and still want lots of gifts (thanks for turning me into the monster I am today mom! CURSE YOU!!!)).

No disrespect taken. I've done the same thing as well, and even came up with a clever excuse when I sold some of the games she had gotten me recently. She's a sucker for animals, so when I told her I use the money I had gotten from the games to buy dog food for our dog, she had a change of heart.
That loving fiend of a parental figure!! CURSE YOU!!!

Nice. xD

Sony master race? Laughing

And yes, I will get around to playing the Silent Hill games eventually.
I've only ever owned a PS2 that I got in 2012 due to living with brothers who were Microsoft and Nintendo fans. A tragedy given Sony's library.  Niagara Falls
Splendid. Gordon Ramsey

Definitely still considering picking up some Tales games eventually, though, I'm still not sure where to start...
I played an hour of Symphonia. Really liked the Gamecube opening but not enough to get past the first disc before giving it back to my friend
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down

Greece

Post 14th October 2015, 3:58 pm by Greece

You'd get the chronicles for Dawn of the New World. ToS has too many problems for me to recommend it. Graces(f) Abyss, Xillia, Xillia 2 are games that I'd recommend you get in the Tales Series

Back to top Go down

Nopon

Post 14th October 2015, 4:52 pm by Nopon

personally I adored tos, had a slow start but I genuinely cared for all the characters and loved the battles :o

Back to top Go down

Lief Katano

Post 14th October 2015, 5:05 pm by Lief Katano

jokool wrote:But still, they've got quite a few similarities (Mario 3D land and 3D world are just two slightly different 3D mario games, Mario Kart 7 and 8 are just two slightly different racing games, and New Super Mario Bros. 2/U are just two slightly different side scrolling Mario games).
Waitwaitwaitwhat.

I mean, I could at least somewhat see where you're coming from for the Mario Karts, but 3D Land vs. World and 2 vs. U? You're kidding me.

Back to top Go down

Post 14th October 2015, 5:13 pm by Guest

Meyneth wrote:What price Range are you looking for again?
My price range varies all the time, but it's usually non existent since I rarely can afford any games...

Greece wrote:get tales of the abyss, my favorite one in the series
It is on consoles I have, so that's definitely a possibility.

Greece wrote:Graces(f) Abyss, Xillia, Xillia 2 are games that I'd recommend you get in the Tales Series

Didn't you and/or a few others here have Xillia themes for a while?

Back to top Go down

Greece

Post 14th October 2015, 6:29 pm by Greece

Spiky Nopon wrote:personally I adored tos, had a slow start but I genuinely cared for all the characters and loved the battles :o

ToS isn't a bad game, it's just not the best. I found it hard to like every single character, mainly because there were too many of them. I kept forgetting about Regal and Presa, and after playing the other installments in the series I ended up finding the battle system not that great... I kept getting stuck on the other players on the field and everything just felt really crowded.

EDIT: I hope I'm not coming off as to hating, because I really don't hate ToS, I've just had to many bad experiences with ToS fans

Last edited by Greece on 14th October 2015, 6:37 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Meyneth

Post 14th October 2015, 6:33 pm by Meyneth

I am 95% sure that I have themed Ludger at one point.(The protag of Xillia 2)

Back to top Go down

Greece

Post 14th October 2015, 6:36 pm by Greece

pretty sure we've spammed the image thread

I haven't themed ToX I think I've only themed TotA

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2