Let's Play Advance Wars!

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Let's Play Advance Wars!

Post by Guest on 17th January 2014, 9:29 pm

Intro Video:

Welcome to Advance Wars!

Woo! I haven't done an LP in a while, and I'm so excited to be doing another one! Hopefully, this one will be as good as the others (well....hopefully better and not "as good" since both of my previous LPs haven't ended well... Annoyed).

Anyway, this will be a blind LP, meaning I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing, so this should be fun! :fuckyou:

Quick summary of what Advance Wars is: It's a turn-based tactics video game by Nintendo, and the first in the "Wars" series that was released in America. When it was released, it received universal acclaim, and is considered one of the greatest games for the GBA, and according to some, one of the greatest Nintendo games of all time (top 20 or 30 something).

Other than that, I don't know much about it, and don't want to since I want to do this LP blind. If you want to find out more, here's the Wikipedia page for it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance_Wars

I found out about this game after doing research on some of the best DS games, in which, Advance Wars: Dual Strike was listed many times. Doing more research, I found out about this game. I think I was also in a Mafia game a while back that had this game as the theme.

Anyway, I think I'll go ahead and get this LP started:

Hmmm... I usually just use my name (Andrew) for games like this, while sometimes using jokool, but I think I'll let you guys decide this time! In this thread, suggest what name I should use, and I'll pick one. If no name is suggested, I'll go with either Andrew or jokool.

Back to top Go down

Re: Let's Play Advance Wars!

Post by Truthseeker4449 on 17th January 2014, 9:37 pm

I suggest jokool.

Truthseeker4449
Admin

: Killer Loli :

Myers-Briggs Type : INTP-T
Alignment : Chaotic Neutral

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Caprizant on 17th January 2014, 9:43 pm

You should use Joey  Extreme Smiling

Caprizant
Admin

: Fresh Start! :

Myers-Briggs Type : INFJ-T
Alignment : Lawful Good

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthseeker4449 on 17th January 2014, 9:51 pm

Ooo, I like Caprizant's idea!

Truthseeker4449
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lief Katano on 17th January 2014, 11:01 pm

Yeah, Joey. And you will have a Rattata that is in the top percentage and a black, red-eyed dragon

Thief Lief Katano appeared!
Please play Final Fantasy Record Keeper | RW: Ramza Soul Break: Shout (241 MND) ID: SGuM
...I'd have four gil. Which isn't a lot, but it's annoying that there's more than one of 'em.
Lief Katano

: If I had a gil for all the fiends...

Myers-Briggs Type : ~nope~
Alignment : Lawful Neutral

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 18th January 2014, 5:42 pm

LP note: To cut down on the amount of screenshots I'm using, I'll be posting most of the character's text in quote boxes. Hopefully page loading time won't be too long this way.

Part 1 - Training!:

Joey it is!

Hi Nell!

Nell wrote:I'm a CO in the Orange Star Army.
Is this your first time playing?
Yes/No

Nell wrote:Very well, let me explain a few things briefly.
There are several different modes of game play.

Now, I start getting a bit confused at this point, and you'll see why in a sec.

Nell wrote:The Vs. Mode is for multiplayer battle on the Game Boy Advance.
To play Advance Wars on multiple systems, link up with friends and try the Link Mode.
And then there's Field Training.
If you're playing for the first time, you should start in Field Training.
Would you choose Field Training on the Mode Selection menu, please?
In Field Training, I can instruct you on game controls and overall battle strategy.
Once in Field Training, please complete the missions in order from top to bottom.
The first lesson is on Troop Orders. Let's start here!

See why I was confused?

....There's no story mode....

I had to stop at this point and do a bit of research because I was thinking, "Oh crap... I picked a game with no story to LP...." But, I saw on Wikipedia that the training leads to the story, so hopefully  it's right, or else this will be one short LP... :P

There's 13 total training missions to do, so this may take a while.

Nell wrote:We're in this large nation here, Orange Star.
The country to the east is Blue Moon.
The two countries have been biter rivals for years.
Border skirmishes had died down recently...until that madman Olaf...
Oh, excuse me. I mean, uhm...
The Blue Moon CO, Olaf, suddenly ordered an invasion of Orange Star.
So, the Alara region is now held by Blue Moon forces.
Candidate Joey, you have been given a mission.
You are to drive Olaf from Alara and secure it for Orange Star.
I will be your support.
Let's move out!

Here we go!

Nell wrote:The Alara region is quite remote.
That's why Olaf hasn't deployed many troops to the area.
You yourself have two infantry units under your command.

That was fairly obvious. :I

Nell wrote:Defeat the enemy forces to complete this mission successfully.
Well, let's issue some orders.

Nell wrote:The + Control Pad moves the cursor.

Nell wrote:Would you place the cursor on the infantry unit, please?

Nell wrote:You'll see this term often, so do your best to remember it.
When you select a unit, the area around it will become highlighted.
This area represents the selected unit's range of movement.
First, let's approach the enemy with this unit.

Nell wrote:Move the cursor here and press the A Button.

Starting to seem very similar to Fire Emblem.

*like an idiot, he tries to move the cursor with the mouse* :P

Nell wrote:Select Wait, and then press the A Button to confirm the command.

*waits*

Nell wrote:This indicates that the unit can't receive any more orders this turn.
Don't worry--you'll be able to use it again on your next turn.

Nell wrote:Move it as close as possible to the enemy.

Okay, this tutorial seems to be all basic stuff and not much else, so I'm going to try and make this quick since it seems obvious what I'm doing now and just post simple explanations of game play and stuff that may be relevant to the story.

Basically, it does seem like Fire Emblem at this point, just moving units and waiting, then attacking when enemies are near. After moving everyone, just end the turn. When I end the turn though...plot happens! :O

Guy I'm assuming is Olaf wrote:Hah! They won't last long.
My troops there will make short work of them!

He then moves his troops and it's the next day. Now I can attack his units. Like in Fire Emblem, all I need to do is move my unit next to the enemy unit.

Nell wrote:Please select this command.

Okay.

So let's attack this guy!

Take that Olaf!

Nell wrote:Do you see the numbers on the units?
This indicates the units' HP (hit points).
All units begin with ten HP.

More basic stuff, but one thing to note is that the first unit to attack usually has the advantage.

Now it's time to finish them off!

*moves other unit to engage*

*unit goes boom (literally)*

Now that that's done, my turn ends...and Olaf isn't too happy...

Olaf wrote:If I were in the field, they wouldn't be suffering such humiliation!
Cursed Orange Star Army! I will Defeat it! I will!

When they're damaged, some of the troops go flying, but I keep missing it in the shot.

Anyway, time to finish this!

*unit's HP hits zero and goes boom*

Woo! Victory!

Olaf wrote:That land was mine! How did they lose it so easily?
Grrr... Next time, victory will be mine!

Nell wrote:Now you will see the rank that your strategy has earned you! Speed is based on how quickly you won, while Power is based on how well you concentrated your attacks and overcame your enemies. Technique is based on how many of your own troops were lost. You'll earn a rank for each map you clear, so you can compare your scores to your friends'! Good luck on your next campaign!

Next mission is going to focus on a more mountainous terrain.

Oh goodie... Apparently, Mech units are stronger than regular units... This should be fun... :P

So apparently, you can use the terrain to give you more cover to help take out stronger units. Unfortunately, the mountains are harder to get through, so I can't go as many spaces if there's a mountain there...

But I do have a big advantage when fighting thanks to that mountain! I only lost one HP instead of two! :D

...Yeah, this is just another basic tutorial and the text isn't very story relevant, so I'll be skimming over a lot of it and just giving summaries from now on. I'll probably be doing this for the other tutorial if they're the same way.

Different terrains have different defense numbers. Ones with higher numbers protect units better. Also, some units can travel different terrains better than others. For example, Mech Units can travel through mountains without restrictions on their maximum movement, but Mech Units can only travel up to 2 spaces total. So each terrain and unit has it's advantages and disadvantages.

So anyway, after a few more rounds of fighting:

Boom!

Could't have said it better myself! Next mission!

This time, the tutorial is about base capturing. Good news is that I have Mech Units in this one. Bad news is that they have tanks (as seen highlighted in the shot)... However, Tanks can't cross mountains, so there's an advantage there since there's a line of mountains.

In order to capture buildings, simply move onto a building and a menu pops up that let's you select Capt:

It takes at leas two days to capture a city, and you have to leave the unit there until it is captured. If the unit is moved before the city is captured, or if the unit is defeated by an enemy, it'll take another two days to capture the city, so it looks like I'll have to keep a unit there and protect them until the city is captured.

The guy bounces on the building. Laughing

Anyway, after capturing the city, it becomes a base. Orange building are my bases, blue ones are Olaf's, and gray ones are neutral. Damaged troops can recover HP each turn if they are in a base. I also get 1000 G (which I'm assuming is money in this game) every day for each city under my control. Capturing enemy cities is done the same way as capturing neutral cities.

The time a city can be captured may vary depending on how much HP the unit capturing it has. Example, one city has a capture number of 20. That number is reduced when a unit attempts to capture it. If a unit only has 5 HP, then it will only reduce the capture number by 5, meaning it would take 4 days to capture the city.

After some early tank trouble...I manage to capture the enemy base and win. Apparently after clearing a map, you lose any funds you get, or something like that. *shrug*

Next up, Unit Repair! And this time, I get tanks:

So this tutorial is teaching me how to get units out of harms way and back into bases for repair. It also explains that units can be a "wall" and protect other units.

Enemy units can't cross a space with my unit on it, so putting a mech unit in front of that tank will keep it from being attacked since the enemy tank can't go past the mech unit.

Since it's taking too long to repair the tanks, I'll have to join the units together before Olaf gets to them:

Will do!

Basically, it combines the HP from those units into one unit to make it stronger. Unfortunately, there's only one unit now instead of two, but it can be a good option for emergency situations.

Eventually, another victory:

Unfortunately, I didn't do as well in this part... Annoyed

Anyway, seeing as I have 9 more tutorials to go, I think I'll end this here for now. So until next time, see ya!

Last edited by jokool on 18th January 2014, 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Apparently, there were a lot of broken images and derp ups.... No idea if it was my fault or something else... Sorry about that.)

Back to top Go down

Post by Lief Katano on 18th January 2014, 6:16 pm

Some people could think that they're the blue people if they came off of Fire Emblem. Speaking of, Fire Emblem and Advance Wars are made by the same company (Intelligent Systems), so that explains the similarities.

Please play Final Fantasy Record Keeper | RW: Ramza Soul Break: Shout (241 MND) ID: SGuM
...I'd have four gil. Which isn't a lot, but it's annoying that there's more than one of 'em.
Lief Katano

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthseeker4449 on 18th January 2014, 7:52 pm

This looks very interesting now and a great place to test one's military skills.... Anyone else see another round of Supremacy in the future?

Truthseeker4449
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lief Katano on 18th January 2014, 7:58 pm

No.

Lief Katano

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Caprizant on 18th January 2014, 8:00 pm

Woo, you went with Joey!  Dunsparce Approves 
Can't wait to see what the plot's like.

Caprizant
Admin

: Fresh Start! :

Myers-Briggs Type : INFJ-T
Alignment : Lawful Good

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 18th January 2014, 8:31 pm

@Truthseeker4449 wrote:This looks very interesting now and a great place to test one's military skills.... Anyone else see another round of Supremacy in the future?

I was just thinking about Supremacy earlier after I got an email from the site. I would love to play that again sometime!

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthseeker4449 on 18th January 2014, 9:06 pm

I'm highly tempted to start playing this myself, though the Addictive Rating of 10 makes me hesitate just a little bit. I'd hate to ruin your LP for myself...

Truthseeker4449
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 18th January 2014, 9:19 pm

If you want to play it, go ahead! I played Off when Cap was doing the LP for it. Just don't spoil anything for anyone else (if there are any spoilers that is *still doesn't know for sure if there's a story mode*).

Also, I might try to update again later if I have time. If not, It'll be up tomorrow.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 18th January 2014, 11:29 pm

Speaking of updates, here it is:

Part 2 - More Training!:
I'm now on part 5.

Oh no.... I don't like buts....

Nell wrote:...it's out of ammo.

NUUUUU!!!! What could be worse than this!? Gonk

Nell wrote:And it's almost out of fuel, too.

..........I had to open my big mouth... Really.

So yeah, without fuel and ammo, tanks are useless because you can't move without fuel and you can't fire without ammo...

This training lesion, however, teaches how to fix this problem by use a new unit: a transport unit:

To use them, move them next to the unit that needs supplies:

After selecting that, it fills up the unit completely with ammo and fuel. The transport unit can also fill up other units that are adjacent to it at the same time. Allied bases also provide supplies to units when they are in them.

Anyway, now that this tank is ready, I can use it!

Aaaaaand I just realized that this isn't a tank, but an artillery unit (as it was mentioned in the first screenshot Facepalm). This unit can attack from a distance, so I was just able to hit this tank:

Anyway, that covers most everything in this tutorial, so all that's left is to finish off the enemy!

...Well, almost everything. There's another thing about transport units. If I move a mech unit to it:

I can load them onto the transport to move them around faster! Transports can carry both mech and infantry units. After loading them on, I can move them then drop them wherever the transport can go:

After unloading, both units are unable to do anything else until the next turn.

A few other things to note: Transports have no weapons, so they can't attack anything themselves. Artillery units can't fire and move in the same turn. Artillery units are also weak in direct combat, so keep them at a distance.

Now that should be it for this tutorial. I'll try to keep the others shorter than this one. For now, time to wrap up this level:

Next: Tank Ops

Oh goodie...

Basically, Medium Tanks are just...Medium Tanks. Bigger and more powerful than regular tanks. In this tutorial, I just need to stay out of it's way. But everything is up to me, so here goes!

First few days are going fairly well.

Hmmm.... This is taking a while....

Finally, now I just need to...

Craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap......

Well, I can still take it out, it shouldn't be too big a problem where it's at right now.

Facepalm I'm starting to wonder whether or not LPing this game was a good idea...

Time to set up...something:

Aaaaaaaand the artillery is out of range.... Why.

This should work.

And it did! :D

...Unfortunately, the base restores most of the HP, so this battle is going to go on for a while....

*many turns later*

*tank goes boom*

Finally....

Thanks for having such great confidence in me. :I

Not surprising, I got a lower grade due to the long amount of time I took... Annoyed

Seven more training missions to go, but it's starting to get late, so I'll continue tomorrow. Until then, see ya!

Back to top Go down

Post by Lief Katano on 18th January 2014, 11:36 pm

See, Joey, whenever a tutorial tells you to do something, you do it.

Lief Katano

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next