Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Let's play Fire Emblem - Shadow Dragon

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Let's play Fire Emblem - Shadow Dragon Empty Let's play Fire Emblem - Shadow Dragon

Post by Lief Katano 7th December 2013, 12:28 am

Let's play Fire Emblem - Shadow Dragon Fire_e10
The year was 1990. Intelligent Systems had created a new strategy RPG, perhaps the first of its kind. Named "Fire Emblem - Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light" (roughly), it was a hit - in Japan. For reasons unknown, it was unreleased in America.
Then Marth, the main character, appeared in Smash Bros., and now we have this: a remake of Fire Emblem - Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light on the Nintendo DS.
Joining me playing this game is TheCapsFan, who is playing on...one of the Hard Modes.
Let's play Fire Emblem - Shadow Dragon Fire_e11
Yeah, there's not one, not two, but five hard modes in Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon. For the only time in series history, in fact; there's just three extra degrees of difficulty in the sequel, Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem - Heroes of Light and Shadow and Fire Emblem Awakening, the two games that have come since.
So yeah. You can either have me do Normal, where TCF will do Hard/Hard, or I'll do Hard/Hard and TCF will do Hard/Brutal. Or maybe he'll chicken out and do Normal, I don't know how he rolls.
Fire Emblem Physics:
Take note of the top screen.

• Strength affects Attack if you're using a physical weapon (i.e. Swords, Axes, Lances, Bows).
  • Likewise, Magic affects Attack if you're using a Tome. This actually wasn't a stat in the original; tomes just did fixed amounts of damage (...I think).
  • Skill affects Hit and Critical.
  • Speed affects Attack Speed, which affects Avoid and if you can double someone, and is thus the most important stat in the game.
  • Luck affects Hit and Avoid, and also reduces an enemy's critical rate. Enemies usually have low - if any - Luck.
  • Defense decreases physical damage done to the unit.
  • Resistance decreases magical damage done to the unit. For all units in the original, this was 0 always (unless modified with an item), increasing the usefulness of magic a bit.
From this, other stats are calculated:

• Attack is the maximum amount of damage you'll do (bar if you get a critical hit).
  • Critical is the chance you'll get a critical hit. Enemies will usually get a pitiful Critical; this, combined with your units actually having luck, means that you'll typically be the ones critting.
  • Hit is your chance of hitting. Note how Marth's is above 100? This just means that the enemy can have 6 avoid before he isn't guaranteed a hit. Even then, it's like to hit, due to "True Hit".
  • Avoid partially determines your chance to avoid an attack - it's (hit rate - avoid). I think. This, in turn, is determined by...
  • Attack Speed. Not directly listed, but very important. It determines if you'll get two attacks, and affects your avoid. The formula (in this game) is Speed - (Weapon Weight - Strength), so with a Rapier equipped Marth has 7 Attack Speed (the Rapier's weight is 4).

Speaking of important things, we have growth rates. 100 Experience is a level, and rather then having fixed levels or a Cthulian level up system, Fire Emblem has growth rates - the percentage that a stat will go up on a level. Marth's growth rates, for example, are:
HP: 80% Skill: 40%
Str: 50% Spd: 50%
Mag: 0% Luk: 70%
Def: 20% Res: 2%
...wait, is that a 2% Res growth? Jesus, magic users are going to be godly if this is how everyone is... Anyway, this means that Marth will usually gain HP and Luck, as well as Strength, Speed, and maybe Skill; Defense is rarer, and Resistance is extremely unlikely.

Growth rates mean that a character is entirely at the mercy of the Random Number God. They could be awesome in one playthrough, but utter shit in the next. This also means that characters with good growth rates are better units more often then not (unless their bases are utter shit). So.

Anyway, that's it.
Ah, yes. One of the controversial things about Shadow Dragon is that, in order to access all of the chapters, you need to purposefully kill off your units so that you have 15 or less before you start a Gaiden chapter - a special side chapter that lets you train a bit and get new units. And swag, can't forget the swag. So: should we focus on keeping everyone alive, or getting to all of the side chapters?
Lief Katano
Lief Katano

: If I had a gil for all the fiends...

Myers-Briggs Type : ~nope~
Alignment : Lawful Neutral

Back to top Go down

Let's play Fire Emblem - Shadow Dragon Empty Re: Let's play Fire Emblem - Shadow Dragon

Post by Guest 7th December 2013, 9:46 am

I say try and keep everyone alive.

Also, it said that there's no prologue in the hard mode, so if you both do hard, does that mean we miss out on some of the story?

Back to top Go down

Let's play Fire Emblem - Shadow Dragon Empty Re: Let's play Fire Emblem - Shadow Dragon

Post by Truthseeker4449 7th December 2013, 10:04 am

Lief I have officially lost count how many let's plays you've started and have yet to finish.
Truthseeker4449
Truthseeker4449
Admin

: Killer Loli :

Myers-Briggs Type : INTP-T
Alignment : Chaotic Neutral

Back to top Go down

Post by Lief Katano 7th December 2013, 10:15 am

I think the prologue is mostly a tutorial, with whatever story that would be covered there in the beginning of Chapter 1. Hence why there's no prologue in Hard mode - if you're doing it, you should have some grasp of what you're doing.
relaaaaaaaax TCF is here I should be able to do it
Lief Katano
Lief Katano

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 7th December 2013, 11:34 am

Then go all out and pick hard! Evil Laughter

Back to top Go down

Post by Lief Katano 7th December 2013, 11:39 am

Because of your non-specificness, I can do Hard/Hard. :V
Lief Katano
Lief Katano

Back to top Go down

Post by TheCapsFan 7th December 2013, 12:58 pm

Iirc the prologue is a tutorial, it explains  how and why Marth flees his country.  (oops, was that a spoiler?  I'm sorry :P)

Welp guys, it looks like I'm in this fo sho.  Wish me luck (and I'm gonna need it, since I have no idea what I'm doing, and I've never done an LP before).  I might do the same as Lief, I haven't decided.

N.B. I have very little time so I have no idea when I'll be able to do this/how often to do this
TheCapsFan
TheCapsFan

: Writing The Future

Myers-Briggs Type : ENFP-T
Alignment : Neutral Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Lief Katano 7th December 2013, 2:17 pm

nu dude we can't both do hard/hard it won't be cool that way

Chapter 1 - Marth Embarks

Spoiler:
Lief Katano
Lief Katano

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 7th December 2013, 4:05 pm

...white as a sheet?
It's an old saying (since sheets used to be mostly white back in the day......I guess?).

Back to top Go down

Post by Lief Katano 7th December 2013, 8:57 pm

But why would Marth say that in a game made in the 21st century?

...anyway, let's try that again.

Spoiler:
Lief Katano
Lief Katano

Back to top Go down

Post by Lief Katano 8th December 2013, 1:09 pm

Chapter 2 - The Pirates of Galder

Do what you want because pirates are free; you are a pirate!:
Before we continue: do you care if anyone dies? If so, who? This is for purposes of me not getting frustrated.
Lief Katano
Lief Katano

Back to top Go down

Post by TheCapsFan 8th December 2013, 2:53 pm

Alright.  I've figured out how to work this out.  Chapter one may be posted later today, or when I have time.
TheCapsFan
TheCapsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 8th December 2013, 4:47 pm

@Lief, I think I mentioned keeping everyone alive, but I'll say it again: Just keep everyone alive.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lief Katano 8th December 2013, 4:55 pm

Fiiiiiine. I'm not redoing the game to keep Jagen alive, though.
Lief Katano
Lief Katano

Back to top Go down

Post by TheCapsFan 9th December 2013, 10:32 am

Okay.  I'm not sure about doing this due to time problems.  I might come back to this at a later date now that I know how to work it.
TheCapsFan
TheCapsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next