Bit of a scary moment today.

Go down

20160927

Post 

Bit of a scary moment today.




With the exception of our drive-on alignment racks, all of the shop's lifts are powered by two car batteries. Every so often the batteries do need to be replaced and one of the lifts had been showing signs of weak batteries for a while now. Because it's been slow this month, we were pushing the batteries as long as we could until they would be unable to lift a car at a reasonable pace.

Apparently we pushed them too far. I had just set the lift for a 2012 Honda Pilot and was in the process of raising the vehicle for a tire rotation and oil change. About two feet off the ground, there was a very loud popping sound literally right next to my head because it's my habit to lean against the lift's power unit while raising a vehicle. Moving quickly away from the lift controls, uncertain what had just happened beyond something having gone horribly wrong inside of the lift's power unit. Took me about 30 seconds to realize I was still holding my left arm behind my back to press the raise button, despite now being 10 feet from the lift controls.

After getting my supervisor, there was a rather pungent smell of sulfur in the air as well as smoke coming from behind the access panel for the batteries, pretty much confirming a battery explosion. My supervisor said he wasn't going to pull the access panel off and I said neither would I. As far as I know, this is the first time this as happened.

I consider myself rather lucky not to have been dowsed in acid.


avatar
Truthseeker4449
Admin

  : Killer Loli :

Gender : Female
Posts : 34997
Likes : 1368
Joined : 2013-01-15
Myers-Briggs Type : INTP-T
Alignment : Chaotic Neutral
Location : Standing Very Creepily Behind You

View user profile

Back to top Go down

- Similar topics
Share this post on: diggdeliciousredditstumbleuponslashdotyahoogooglelive

Bit of a scary moment today. :: Comments

avatar

Post on 27th September 2016, 10:06 pm by Nopon

Glad to hear you didn't get hurt, I probably would have yelped

Back to top Go down

Post on 27th September 2016, 10:34 pm by Guest

Oh sweet Lordy. That's terrifying! Glad you're okay.

Back to top Go down

avatar

Post on 29th September 2016, 6:57 pm by Truthseeker4449

We found out what happened yesterday when the repairman showed up. He noticed that the battery that didn't blow up was somewhat swollen and warm to the touch. Believing it to be shorted internally, he recommended that we go ahead and replace it too. My store manager had already put a fresh battery that morning to replace the one that blew up to put the lift back into service.

Because the bottom battery was having issues, most of the charging juice went into the upper battery, until the overcharge killed it when I started raising the vehicle. This was of course the battery that would've been right beside my head.

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum