Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fate and You, Final Part

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Fate and You, Final Part Empty Fate and You, Final Part

Everyone has been waiting for this and here it is, the fabled battle system!

You roll and kill things :V

What, you want more details? Sure.

Firstly, battles can be either mental or physical. Meaning that an argument uses the same mechanics as battle with some slight changes, so lets begin!

Before the fighting even starts, the GM sets up 'zones'. Zones are loosely defined areas, examples are rooms, parts of a forest, a tile on the floor. Basically, a zone says what things and people you can interact with. You are allowed to interact with anything in your zone or one next to it if you can justify it. Moving between two adjacent zones is a free action (doesn't cost anything) unless there is something or someone trying to stop you from entering/leaving the zone, then it takes your action. You are also only allowed to travel 1 zone but you can move 2 zones if you don't perform an action.

Turn order is decided by what type of conflict it is. Mental stuff is determined by who has the highest Careful stat, while physical goes to Quickly stat.

Now in part 3 we talked about rolling attacks and what each number means but now I'll give a quick run down.

You pick an approach and then use it to attack (sneaky attack, quick attack, etc.) then roll. Your stat plus the roll is your total. The opponent picks an approach and uses it to defend (quickly defend, carefully defend, etc.) then roll. Your stat plus the roll is your total. If your attack is lower, nothing happens. If a tie, no damage but you get a boost, higher then damage, and roll 3 higher than the defense and you do damage and can lower the damage by 1 and get a boost. If the defense is 3 higher the defense gets a boost.

Now for the fun part, damage. The difference between the rolls is the damage. :D

That was simple right? The fun part is deciding how much of that damage you want to take! In the Fate system, everyone has a max of 6 HP. That number cannot go up in anyway, and both the strongest and weakest of us have that 6. Since the HP we have is so low, we can choose to not take damage and instead take a consequence. There are 3 consequences to choose from, Minor (2), Moderate (4), and Severe (6). Each consequence absorbs a certain amount of damage, so by carefully combining them, you have essentially 12 HP right? But consequences have a price. A consequence can only absorb 1 attack, and you can only have one of each consequence at a time. Each consequence is a negative aspect you gain, and how long it lasts depends on what type it is. Also, the attacker that caused you to take on that consequence can invoke it without using fate points once, and can have an ally get the free invocation.

Minor: This consequence absorbs 2 damage and is a small minor issue, such as getting dizzy, frightened, etc, as long as it makes the battle harder for you. Minor consequences go away at the end of the battle if you have time to rest.

Moderate: This one absorbs 4 damage and is a bigger issue, big enough to last longer than the battle. Moderate consequences last until the end of the next episode if it makes sense. These could be things like sprained ankles, temporarily blinded, being filled with crippling self doubt, etc.

Severe: This one absorbs 6 damage, but should not be taken lightly. These last until the end of the current arc, and are larger things, like perhaps a broken bone, a new phobia, basically something big enough to mess you up long term.

Now what happens if you have no more free consequence slots and run out of HP? You don't necessarily die, you get taken out. Basically you can no longer fight, buuuuut, whomever dealt the finishing blow decides what happens to you....and that can be anything from being knocked out, thrown out a building, even death, so try not to die....please?

If things look hopeless, you can surrender. When you surrender, you lose something (could be items, reputation, a possible option you could have taken, etc.) and are treated as if you were taken out, except you get to decide what happens to you to prevent you from fighting (your flee, you fake your death, you literally surrender). BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE! You also get 1 fate point, and one extra one for each consequence you received. Knowing when to fight, and when to surrender is an important part of any battle.

Also you regain all your HP at the end of a battle :D

That basically sums up the battle system, but you might have noticed I mentioned episodes and arcs. Those are how we are gonna be measuring events and time. An episode is basically what you'd expect in an episode. Arcs are made up of episodes. There is one more unit of measure, and that's Seasons. Seasons always end with the status quo being shaken up in big ways. The GM decides how long episodes are, and thus controls how long arcs and seasons are as well!

Why is knowing about episodes, arcs and seasons important? They're how we level up! At the end of each unit we can do things!

At the end of an episode: You can do one of the following:
1) Switch the values of two stats
2) Change one aspect EXCEPT high concept
3) Trade in a stunt for another
4) Reduce your refresh to get another stunt

At the end of an arc: You get the benefits of an episode ending and the following:
1) You can boost one stat by 1

At the end of a Season: You get the benefits of both an episode and arc ending as well as:
1) Your refresh goes up by 1! (You can instantly use that refresh for a stunt for the episode end benefit)
2) You can change your high concept if you want.

Homework is easy, write your history and pm it to Lief and have him approve it! I will be adding a character template in this blog soon so be ready for it!
Nopon
Nopon

: Not a Shark Bully

Myers-Briggs Type : INFP-T

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Fate and You, Final Part :: Comments

Lief Katano

Post 11th October 2015, 12:18 am by Lief Katano

Wait what nobody told me that I was going to have to make episodes worth of plot

this messes up everything

(okay not really but this does make things harder  Chuck)

also the HP will be rendered in hearts because I Am A Dork

Back to top Go down

Truthseeker4449

Post 11th October 2015, 12:25 am by Truthseeker4449

Though it can be cooler to say half a heart than one HP

Back to top Go down

Burnin' Bunnies

Post 11th October 2015, 12:27 am by Burnin' Bunnies

so we'd have 3 hearts, like the beginning of a Zelda game~! :O

Lief, are you allowed to reveal any of your plot so far, at least loosely? I like to determine histories when I know a basic plot, so I can personally plot character development.

(In particular, I want to know if/what you have planned for Sheikah, as this could possibly be important for Aariko. :U )

Back to top Go down

Lief Katano

Post 11th October 2015, 12:51 am by Lief Katano

I have absolutely nothing determined for the Sheikah. :U

From what I remembered for the plot, you're trying to stop minions of Ganon from getting Link's blood so they can't revive Ganon (because you can do that).

Why didn't I write it down? Good question! I'm asking myself that too.

Back to top Go down

Burnin' Bunnies

Post 25th October 2015, 9:36 pm by Burnin' Bunnies

*Reminds everyone this is a thing in case people, like me, have yet to message Lief about this*

Back to top Go down

Nopon

Post 25th October 2015, 11:40 pm by Nopon

i've been too distracted as of late with mario maker and yoshi's wooly world and chibi robo ;A;

that and hit by worst writers block i've ever had

Back to top Go down

Lief Katano

Post 26th October 2015, 7:37 am by Lief Katano

Can confirm that people have not messaged me about this.

Back to top Go down

Greece

Post 26th October 2015, 4:34 pm by Greece

to be honest I forgot about this

History is always the part I procrastinate one

Back to top Go down

returnofmastercrazyhand

Post 31st October 2015, 7:23 pm by returnofmastercrazyhand

the whole character's history? IDK if I can do that, it's going to be a plot point.

Back to top Go down

Burnin' Bunnies

Post 31st October 2015, 7:30 pm by Burnin' Bunnies

Well, to be fair, only Lief would know since it would be PMd. My character also has some plot important things I want to do.

Back to top Go down

Lief Katano

Post 31st October 2015, 8:01 pm by Lief Katano

Send me the whole history so I don't get pissed at you pulling shit from nowhere.

Please and thanks~

Back to top Go down

returnofmastercrazyhand

Post 4th November 2015, 5:30 pm by returnofmastercrazyhand

I will, eventually

Back to top Go down

Nopon

Post 20th November 2015, 5:04 pm by Nopon

Status check: we all still lazy?

Back to top Go down

Meyneth

Post 20th November 2015, 5:21 pm by Meyneth

I'm super lazy, I'll try to work on it, but feel free to start without me.

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next