Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to be an Avatar - Ultima IV

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What class should the avatar-to-be be?

How to be an Avatar - Ultima IV Empty33%How to be an Avatar - Ultima IV Empty 33% 
[ 1 ]
How to be an Avatar - Ultima IV Empty67%How to be an Avatar - Ultima IV Empty 67% 
[ 2 ]
How to be an Avatar - Ultima IV Empty0%How to be an Avatar - Ultima IV Empty 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 3

Poll closed

How to be an Avatar - Ultima IV Empty How to be an Avatar - Ultima IV

Post by Lief Katano 4th October 2013, 10:49 pm

How to be an Avatar - Ultima IV Ultima%204%20-%20Quest%20of%20the%20Avatar-1
In the beginning, there were three games: Ultima I, II, and III. These games were made by one Richard Garriot, who published them under the name of Lord British. They were something resembling Dungeons and Dragons, and they were pretty popular.
Except, some people thought they were "demony" (or whatever), particularly III, which had a demon on the cover. They said they had demonic influence, obviously never bothering to actually play the game (or, if they did, interepted it very oddly). One such group was the infamous Bothered About Dungeons and Dragons group, which was lead by an idiot parent. That is not personal opinion.
Anyway, if Wikipedia is correct (or what I got from it was correct), Richard basically said "fuck it". If people were going to make weird and unbased assumptions about his games, then they'll be good, damn it. And so, Ultima IV was born.
Ultima IV is (if TV Tropes is correct) the great-grandaddy of all modern RPGs. It inspired Dragon Quest, which inspired (if only somewhat) Final Fantasy. Anyway, it was one of the older RPGs, and for the computer. We're not playing that version; instead, we're playing the Sega Master System version. Mainly because I can't memorize all the hotkeys and shit. ._.
Anyway, some info and what I need you guys to vote on:
The Virtues:
How to be an Avatar - Ultima IV 250px-Codex_colored
The Virtues encompass the main goal of Ultima IV. There is no final boss, so to speak: the only evil is with you. And, well, the monsters, but. This was revolutionary for the time; even the earlier Ultimas had final bosses! (Oddball ones, especially in the case of III, but I disgress.) Heck, there's still final bosses today! Ultima IV is an oddball. Anyway, you're to became masters of the virtues, which are formed from various combinations of the principles Truth, Love, and Courage. They were inspired by the Wizard of Oz, fun fact. Anyway, they are:
Honesty - Y'know, being honest. Consisting solely of Truth, you gain it by...being truthful and paying what you should. You lose it by ripping off merchants and looting shit that isn't yours (treasure from mobs is fair game; treasure in, say, a castle isn't).
Compassion - Showing compassion to everything (or most of it, anyway). Obviously consisting solely of Love, you gain it by letting non-evil monsters (i.e. stuff that attacks you out of instinct like snakes, or humans) flee or giving gold to the poor. You lose it by killing said non-evil monsters.
Valor - Not fleeing in the face of danger. Courage, obviously. You gain it by killing (evil) monsters, but you lose it by running from anything. Even non-evil monsters.
Justice - The fusion of Truth and Love (as indicated by the color). I have no idea how you'd move up in justice, but losing it is akin to losing Compassion: kill non-evil shit and take what isn't yours. It was mistakenly (and painstakingly) labelled as the fusion of Truth and Courage in Ultima IX (which is a load of shite, but that's neither here nor there right now), but they at least made sense with it.
Sacrifice - Self-sacrifice, making that clear. The fusion of Love and Courage (because you typically love those you sacrifice for, and you need courage to do it). Giving blood (which is a hindering thing; more when we get to it) and giving gold to the poor (I don't know the exact mechanics of it; it could be every time or only when you give your last) makes you more sacrificial (?), and fleeing makes you less so.
Honor - The fusion of Courage and Honesty. Completing quests will get you honor, while taking gold (again, I assume only from townspeople) and getting the first strike on a non-evil being (I think) will hurt it. 
Spirituality - is annoying to type because I did it in white. Which is its color, being a blend of Love, Truth, and Courage. It's, y'know, spiritualness. I dunno, Richard Garriot didn't know, so whatever. Anyway, you gain spirituality by visiting the seer who gives you a rough indication on how good you are on virtues and meditating at shrines. Hey, you try to decipher this stuff!
Humility - Humility is based on none of the principles, being the antithesis of pride. I guess. I dunno. Anyway, you gain Humility by...being humble in dialouge options. This might help, I dunno.
Classes:
Anyway, in Ultima IV, you can choose three things for your character:
How to be an Avatar - Ultima IV SEGAMASTERSYSTEM--Ultima%204%20%20Quest%20of%20the%20Avatar_Oct4%2021_41_34
the Avatar-to-be's name
How to be an Avatar - Ultima IV SEGAMASTERSYSTEM--Ultima%204%20%20Quest%20of%20the%20Avatar_Oct4%2021_43_11
the gender of said person
How to be an Avatar - Ultima IV SEGAMASTERSYSTEM--Ultima%204%20%20Quest%20of%20the%20Avatar_Oct4%2021_44_16
and the class of your character, presented via questions of what you value.

So we need a vote of character class, name, and gender!

(You may notice that Paladin, Ranger, and Bard aren't on the list. This is because the people who join your party that are those classes are considered the canonical companions of the Avatar, and it just doesn't feel right, doing it without them.)

And if this is wordy - that's because it's an old CRPG.
Lief Katano
Lief Katano

: If I had a gil for all the fiends...

Myers-Briggs Type : ~nope~
Alignment : Lawful Neutral

Back to top Go down

How to be an Avatar - Ultima IV Empty Re: How to be an Avatar - Ultima IV

Post by Guest 4th October 2013, 11:18 pm

Which class has the cutest girls?

Back to top Go down

Post by Lief Katano 4th October 2013, 11:22 pm

I have absolutely no idea. I swear to whatever.  I like Maria (who is the Mage) the most, but eh.

This is the list of all of the companions in Ultima IV. All eight of them.
Lief Katano
Lief Katano

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 4th October 2013, 11:42 pm

Oh God...... This is the game with the creepy faces in it...... Scared

Back to top Go down

Post by Lief Katano 5th October 2013, 8:54 am

No, that was Ultima VI. This doesn't even have faces.

So we're using the earliest, non-creepy faces for reference.
Lief Katano
Lief Katano

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5th October 2013, 11:44 am

Ah, I see.

Eh, just go with Maria.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lief Katano 5th October 2013, 11:54 am

...so, don't do a mage?
Lief Katano
Lief Katano

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5th October 2013, 12:19 pm

I thought you said she was the mage? Confused

Back to top Go down

Post by Lief Katano 5th October 2013, 12:24 pm

Yes, she's the Mage party member. The way the party works is that you can have (well, you need to have them if you have beating the game in your best interests) one character from every class in your party. This means that being a Mage would forsake us from having Mariah forever.
Lief Katano
Lief Katano

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5th October 2013, 12:31 pm

Oh...... Then...... Fighter?

Back to top Go down

Post by Lief Katano 6th October 2013, 12:16 pm

Fighter is good. I at least know how to kill stuff with it. How to be an Avatar - Ultima IV Emot-black101 protip: don't use axes or swords or stuff like that

Also, I love how interested everybody is. Probably shoulda stuck with Final Fantasy...

incidentally, FFVII is not dead, I just haven't had time to work on an update.
Lief Katano
Lief Katano

Back to top Go down

Post by Lief Katano 6th October 2013, 10:07 pm

I hope there's somebody watching this. Otherwise I wasted time I could've spent on FFXIV.

I had no fucking time for XIV. I will flip if no one reads this. even if it turns out to be pointless anyway

Step 1: Find some bros

Or alternatively, bros and a ranger:
Lief Katano
Lief Katano

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 7th October 2013, 1:01 am

Lief wrote:How to be an Avatar - Ultima IV SEGAMASTERSYSTEM--Ultima%204%20%20Quest%20of%20the%20Avatar_Oct6%2015_12_46
California, California, California...

How to be an Avatar - Ultima IV SEGAMASTERSYSTEM--Ultima%204%20%20Quest%20of%20the%20Avatar_Oct6%2015_13_51
...this isn't California.
Someone's thinking of Luma. ...THIS THING

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthseeker4449 7th October 2013, 7:15 am

I thought Luma lived in Alaska.
Truthseeker4449
Truthseeker4449
Admin

: Killer Loli :

Myers-Briggs Type : INTP-T
Alignment : Chaotic Neutral

Back to top Go down

Post by Lief Katano 7th October 2013, 8:20 am

No, she lives in California. We went over this.
Lief Katano
Lief Katano

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next