Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Random Ramblings: Season 4 - Episode 17 - Once again, our king is terrible at names

+15
returnofmastercrazyhand
RedCydranth
silence
TheCapsFan
Gravitas
Greece
Critical Sass
Burnin' Bunnies
Nopon
Caprizant
Chibster
Lief Katano
Meyneth
Dragel
Truthseeker4449
19 posters

Page 52 of 67 Previous  1 ... 27 ... 51, 52, 53 ... 59 ... 67  Next

Go down

Random Ramblings: Season 4 - Episode 17 - Once again, our king is terrible at names - Page 52 Empty Re: Random Ramblings: Season 4 - Episode 17 - Once again, our king is terrible at names

Post by Dragel 24th October 2015, 4:59 pm

Jack Pschitt wrote:
Lord Dragelsnart wrote:Persona has a bit of a unwarranted bad reputation for being care free and stupid. Persona 3 has a much different (and darker) story. The story of P4 is about a bunch of teenagers trying to solve a murder mystery, but every character has their own arc which goes into acceptance of one's self. This is probably why the game resonated with me like it did. Persona is actually pretty dark, though nowhere as dark as the main SMT series. Persona 3 on the other hand, deals with the acceptance of death itself, if I went into any more detail I would be spoiling quite a bit. P3 and P4 are both amazing games that shouldn't have the kawaii desu reputation that it does have. If you do choose to play the games, I'd start with Persona 3 as it'll make you appreciate the fixes made in 4 so much more. (P3's battle system is kinda shit)

Awesome, this is just the type of response I was looking for. Consider me sold, I'll definitely keep my eye out for Persona in the future. The only kink in this plan, though, is that I don't own a PSP or a PS Vita, so I can't play what I've heard are the best versions of any of the Persona games. Anyway, there's just something so universally alluring about the premise of "psychic teenagers fight monsters with their feelings and the power of friendship".
Unfortunately I do not have a vita either. I'm saving up the money to get one at the moment as I really want to play the superior versions. I played both on the PS2 and they are excellent as well.
Dragel
Dragel

: Professional Shitposter

Myers-Briggs Type : INFJ-T
Alignment : Lawful Evil

Back to top Go down

Random Ramblings: Season 4 - Episode 17 - Once again, our king is terrible at names - Page 52 Empty Re: Random Ramblings: Season 4 - Episode 17 - Once again, our king is terrible at names

Post by Princess 24th October 2015, 5:00 pm

Look what the dog persuaded in.
Princess
Princess

Myers-Briggs Type : INTJ-A
Alignment : Lawful Neutral

Back to top Go down

Post by Lief Katano 24th October 2015, 5:01 pm

Jack Pschitt wrote:I still don't know if I fully understand all of that. You get another move if you hit a weakness? Doesn't that mean you can hit their weakness for massive damage perpetually? Surely that's not how it works, but whatever it is, it doesn't sound very game-changing to me. But like I said, I've already bought SMT IV so I'll find out for myself one way or another.
It isn't. I wouldn't blame you if you missed this part:
which really works the same way, it just can't be converted into a half turn icon
So you'll only ever be able to get as many turns as you have initial turn icons. (i.e. if you have four party members you can only get up to four extra turns)

There are ways to expand your turn icon count, but they're either:

• enemy-exclusive (and, with one exception, scripted, so your enemy won't gain a ridiculous amount of turns)
  • only usable once (Impel Stone in DDS2, some dialogue options in SMTIV), so you can't gain a ridiculous amount of turns
  • ridiculously expensive (SMTIV), also exclusive to the final DLC

and they all add half-turns.
Lief Katano
Lief Katano

: If I had a gil for all the fiends...

Myers-Briggs Type : ~nope~

Back to top Go down

Post by Cap'n Jack 24th October 2015, 5:12 pm

Lord Dragelsnart wrote:Unfortunately I do not have a vita either. I'm saving up the money to get one at the moment as I really want to play the superior versions. I played both on the PS2 and they are excellent as well.

I do own PlayStations 1 and 2, so I can play every Persona game, but apparently all of them are in their inferior incarnation. From what I understand, the first Persona on PS1 has a really bad English translation which was completely redone for the PSP, only the second half of Persona 2 was released in the US until the PSP or the PS3 or something, Persona 3 is just plain better on PSP, and Persona 4 is best on the Vita by a mile. This is all coming from an outsider looking in, though.

On that note, I was actually initially more interested in the first two Persona games rather than 3 and 4 because they don't have Social Links, and I was convinced that Social Links were the point where the games lost their roots as more deeply personal SMT games dealing with characters who suffer from deep insecurities and use monsters to lash out Evangelion-style and degenerated into a waifu contest occasionally interspersed with giant penis monsters, but from our talk we just had I now understand that that never really happened.

Lief Katano wrote:
Jack Pschitt wrote:I still don't know if I fully understand all of that. You get another move if you hit a weakness? Doesn't that mean you can hit their weakness for massive damage perpetually? Surely that's not how it works, but whatever it is, it doesn't sound very game-changing to me. But like I said, I've already bought SMT IV so I'll find out for myself one way or another.
which really works the same way, it just can't be converted into a half turn icon
So you'll only ever be able to get as many turns as you have initial turn icons. (i.e. if you have four party members you can only get up to four extra turns)

• enemy-exclusive (and, with one exception, scripted, so your enemy won't gain a ridiculous amount of turns)
  • only usable once (Impel Stone in DDS2, some dialogue options in SMTIV), so you can't gain a ridiculous amount of turns

I didn't miss that part, but I did have a hard time visualizing the idea of a "half-turn". Wouldn't that mean that a party of four could create three extra turns, not four, if they all hit weaknesses? Anyway, I do have a better understanding of what's going on now, and it does such much cooler now than it did. Thanks for taking the time to explain that.
Cap'n Jack
Cap'n Jack

Myers-Briggs Type : Someti

Back to top Go down

Post by Lief Katano 24th October 2015, 5:25 pm

Jack Pschitt wrote:
Lief Katano wrote:

I didn't miss that part, but I did have a hard time visualizing the idea of a "half-turn". Wouldn't that mean that a party of four could create three extra turns, not four, if they all hit weaknesses? Anyway, I do have a better understanding of what's going on now, and it does such much cooler now than it did. Thanks for taking the time to explain that.
Perhaps a better term would be what SMTIV uses to describe them - "blinking turn icons".

...Actually now that I say that I'm not entirely sure where the term "half turn icon" even comes from. Daaahck?
Lief Katano
Lief Katano

Back to top Go down

Post by Cap'n Jack 24th October 2015, 5:33 pm

Dark Magician Girl wrote:Look what the dog persuaded in.

pfoof that dogs r better then kats
Cap'n Jack
Cap'n Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragel 24th October 2015, 5:37 pm

I haven't had the pleasure of playing the first two Persona games yet, but I plan on it when I get a Vita. A lot of people don't like the SL system, but I am a fan. It allows you to see the characters on a more personal level and brings in some interesting side characters. Technically you don't even have to do social links. I hope this has been helpful!
Dragel
Dragel

Back to top Go down

Post by Cap'n Jack 24th October 2015, 5:43 pm

Lord Dragelsnart wrote:I haven't had the pleasure of playing the first two Persona games yet, but I plan on it when I get a Vita. A lot of people don't like the SL system, but I am a fan. It allows you to see the characters on a more personal level and brings in some interesting side characters. Technically you don't even have to do social links. I hope this has been helpful!

It's been very helpful, I feel like I have a much better understanding of Persona now, and I had no idea that Social Links aren't even technically required!

Now, is it true that Chie is the best girl ever to exist in any realm, physical or fictional, and all those who disagree have incredibly poor taste in high-school-age women/girls?
Cap'n Jack
Cap'n Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Lief Katano 24th October 2015, 5:46 pm

Jack Pschitt wrote:
Lord Dragelsnart wrote:I haven't had the pleasure of playing the first two Persona games yet, but I plan on it when I get a Vita. A lot of people don't like the SL system, but I am a fan. It allows you to see the characters on a more personal level and brings in some interesting side characters. Technically you don't even have to do social links. I hope this has been helpful!

It's been very helpful, I feel like I have a much better understanding of Persona now, and I had no idea that Social Links aren't even technically required!

Now, is it true that Chie is the best girl ever to exist in any realm, physical or fictional, and all those who disagree have incredibly poor taste in high-school-age women/girls?
it depends on your taste in teh womans

if you like more tomboyish, ready-to-kick-your-ass women, then indeed

if not, you're gonna have a bad time
Lief Katano
Lief Katano

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthseeker4449 24th October 2015, 5:46 pm

TheCapsFan wrote:
Truthseeker4449 wrote:*sort of stumbles in*

You been drinkin' or something?
Didn't really want to get out of bed...
Truthseeker4449
Truthseeker4449
Admin

: Killer Loli :

Myers-Briggs Type : INTP-T
Alignment : Chaotic Neutral

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragel 24th October 2015, 5:57 pm

Naoto best girl
Dragel
Dragel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 24th October 2015, 6:21 pm

Lameoto.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 24th October 2015, 6:27 pm

Too many words...  Random Ramblings: Season 4 - Episode 17 - Once again, our king is terrible at names - Page 52 Woa-onion-head-emoticon

Back to top Go down

Post by Lief Katano 24th October 2015, 7:21 pm

Charles wrote:Lameoto.  
shut yo' face
Lief Katano
Lief Katano

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 52 of 67 Previous  1 ... 27 ... 51, 52, 53 ... 59 ... 67  Next