Small hiatus or not...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Small hiatus or not...

For a while now, I've been trying to work on catching up on things that I've let go for a while. I've managed to get my Pokédex back to completion (shoutout to Charles for helping me with that), caught up on Youtube videos I've been wanting to see (the Achievement Hunters shenanigans in Minecraft Sky Factory is hilarious btw Laughing ), and.....that's unfortunately about it.

Stress and anxiety haven't helped me at all; from worrying about my smaller paycheck from less hours, to just...worrying about me in general. The cutback in hours has helped out a small bit for time to catch up on things, buuuuuuuuuuut...

There's one big issue I have that's really holding me back... I've mentioned this many times before: I have a ton of games I need to complete. Unfortunately, I tend to spend most of my time in games that have something common: Grinding.

Over the past year or so, I've spent hours and hours just grinding for silly things like cosmetic items in games like SMITE and Overwatch (both of which I've taken a hiatus from already), but it hasn't stopped there. 100% Orange Juice and the Halloween event that's about to end is in the back of my mind, nagging at me to grind more and more before time's up. But why though? For another silly costume I'll probably never use?

And then there's games like Minecraft or 7 Days to Die (the later moreso lately). Sure, there's goals and such in them, but they're basically the same: endless grinding. No real story to see to the end, just surviving as long as you can...and cutting down more trees...which consumes more and more hours of my life I could be spending elsewhere.

Don't get me wrong, I love all these games. Sure, I get frustrated with them (hence the hiatus on SMITE and Overwatch), but I still enjoy (or enjoyed) playing them. I just tend to get...super obsessed with them...

And they keep adding up. I'm playing Hearthstone like crazy lately, grinding for cards, leveling up my best classes (which I've figured out are Mage, Priest, Paladin, and Shaman btw). I've also had an interest in trying out Warframe after seeing stuff recently for a new major update (which may draw me back to my PS4, which I've sadly neglected after dying to have one for ages now...but having another game where it seems like the goal is to just shoot stuff and level up....eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......). And then there's things like some MMOs I've wanted to try out (Final Fantasy XIV and (more recently with my interest in Hearthstone) World of Warcraft)...

I could try throwing the other games that are consuming all my time into the game hiatus I've built up (Hearthstone, OJ, etc.), but that's a lot of games...most of them that I have downloaded to my computer tbh...but at least I could finish the massive library I have on here (Dishonored, Portal 2, all the Final Fantasy games I currently have, just to name a few).

Or I could try something a bit more drastic: A complete PC hiatus.

I've debated on going on hiatus on PC for awhile now, and even tried it once or twice (only to come back a few days later). Here's the thing, if I do give it another shot, I can fully focus on my PS4 and catching up on the games I have there, which are Uncharted 3 and 4, Bloodborne, Bastion, and Transistor (a much smaller list of games than the mile long one I have on PC currently). I'll probably be tempted to play more "endless games" or "grindy games" (like Warframe or Final Fantasy XIV's trial), but I think the temptation is less so on PS4 than PC.

And it's not like I'm leaving all these games and the PC for good. I'd be back to PC for sure after I caught up (gotta finish that PC library after all). And I'd love to play the "endless" and "grindy" games again after I get caught up. Heck, I'd even be willing to give SMITE and Overwatch a go again (Overwatch moreso however). I think being so obsessed with trying to "win to get loot" and "grinding my life away when I have other things to do" are some of the biggest things that drove me mad with them, so maybe if I come back to them with a less "must win" attitude, plus more time to kill once I've completed most of my unfinished video games, I'll enjoy playing them like I did ages ago.

...of course, I'd more than likely still need to give the "endless grindy" games on PC a hiatus even when I came back...hmmmm....

...I'll think about this for the next few days. Thought I'd just share my thoughts for now.

“Just like a single bullet setting off a world war, despair has the power to throw this world into chaos!”
jokool
Admin

: True Ultimate Despair :

Myers-Briggs Type : INFJ-T
Alignment : Neutral Good

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: Excite BookmarksDiggRedditDel.icio.usGoogleLiveSlashdotNetscapeTechnoratiStumbleUponNewsvineFurlYahooSmarking

Small hiatus or not... :: Comments

Post on 14th November 2017, 10:48 pm by Princess

So what exactly is it that you are unhappy with that wants you to take a hiatus? The fact you play games that involve grinding and you feel like that keeps you from playing other games you'd like to play, or is it that you feel like games that involve grinding stop you from completing real life goals?

Also, what is it that you think you will achieve from a hiatus? I think hiatuses can be good, but keep in mind, it isn't necessarily teaching you to allocate your time more wisely on a PC, although the fresh start when you come back may allow you to form new, healthy habits.

Back to top Go down

Post on 14th November 2017, 11:07 pm by Meyneth

Maybe instead of going cold turkey you could try easing off of things? like only dedicating an hour or half an hour to the "grindy" games and then see how that feels

Back to top Go down

Post on 15th November 2017, 4:22 pm by jokool

@Princess wrote:So what exactly is it that you are unhappy with that wants you to take a hiatus? The fact you play games that involve grinding and you feel like that keeps you from playing other games you'd like to play, or is it that you feel like games that involve grinding stop you from completing real life goals?
The former moreso at the moment, but the latter was a thing awhile back before I gave up on my real life goals.

Like I said, I enjoy playing games like these, but it just annoys the crap out of me when I start feeling like I've wasted my time with them when I could have finished one of the many games I've practically wasted money on (or someone else's money if it was given to me) since I'm just letting them collect dust at this point (...well, virtual dust for the games that are downloadable).

...And then I look at the list of games I'd still like to buy someday, but if I buy anymore, it just means I'm adding to the pile and making zero progress.

I honestly wish sometimes I didn't have such a massive collection since I've had so much enjoyment from games that are free and/or extremely time consuming, but my obsessive nature makes me want to buy and play other games that I've seen over the years that are either highly recommended, something that simply catches my eye, or one or more of many reasons.

Also, what is it that you think you will achieve from a hiatus? I think hiatuses can be good, but keep in mind, it isn't necessarily teaching you to allocate your time more wisely on a PC, although the fresh start when you come back may allow you to form new, healthy habits.
Simply put: Progress. That's all I hope to accomplish. Once I've made progress, I'm hoping to feel more comfortable spending free time in grindy games.

@Meyneth wrote:Maybe instead of going cold turkey you could try easing off of things? like only dedicating an hour or half an hour to the "grindy" games and then see how that feels  

That's another good idea. It could help to not make things so drastic (like abandoning some games altogether)...but at the same time, I may end up losing track of time (like I usually do), and will have lost another day...

...but, in the end, maybe I do just need to find a happy medium to help me enjoy all the games I love and have. I just need to learn to manage my time more wisely.

Thanks for the input guys.

Back to top Go down

Post on 15th November 2017, 6:14 pm by jokool

Ah screw it! If I enjoy something, I shouldn't let something silly like worrying about what I'm playing get in the way. I have my whole life ahead of me to enjoy all my games, and they're not going anywhere.

That's the biggest thing I need to fix here: Worrying too much over silly things. All it does is put more stress on me than I need.

Back to top Go down

Post on 15th November 2017, 11:02 pm by Orcapon

One thing that helps me with my backlog is https://www.backloggery.com/

I put all my games there, then use the fortune cookie to give me a random game to play, then i put a timer so I know when to stop. Really has helped me out.

Back to top Go down

Post on 16th November 2017, 1:35 am by Greece

or you can just play portal 2 so we can do coop

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum