Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Switch Direct - 1/12/17

Go down

Switch Direct - 1/12/17 Empty Switch Direct - 1/12/17

Greetings, Internet! As per usual, I'm Lief Katano. Though I guess "per usual" is a bit of an understatement...overstatement? Whatever, point is - it's been a long time since a proper Nintendo Direct. Like...March. Seriously. At least I hope that there hasn't been one since March, otherwise I would've missed it and feel embarrassed. But enough about my problems! We're having the first Direct in almost a year for a very important reason - we're getting even more information about the Nintendo Switch! Formerly known under the codename of the "NX", this console is capable of being played both on the go and docked in to output to the TV! And that's...almost everything we know about it! Er, knew about it. Before tonight.

Your next thought will most likely be, "Lief, shouldn't you be in bed?". Normally, on a Thursday night, the answer would be yes. But we have an ice storm coming in, so school has been cancelled! So I can stay up at ten o' clock with no regrets.

That's right. The weather is working in my favor for once!

Aaaaaaaanyways. The broadcast has opened up a mite earlier by showing a commercial for the Switch, showing off some various "modes" for it for playing it on the go. Notable is how flexible its controllers (called joycons) are. It looks sort of like a Wii U GamePad, though the sides of the controller can detach from the screen. Not only can you use it like the GamePad, but you can also use them as a standard controller, prop the screen up and use the controllers completely separately, or have them act like separate controllers for quick multiplayer action (with the D-Pad acting as the A/B/X/Y buttons for the left part, I'd imagine). Nifty!

Alright. It's time. Start playing your favorite hype music! Live from Tokyo, it's the Nintendo Switch!

The current president of Nintendo opens by revealing the information from the commercial, and promises to give a detailed intro to the software and hardware.

The Switch will release worldwide on March 3rd! Everywhere. RSP is $299.99 in the US.

The online services for the Switch are compatible with a smartphone application, allowing for voice chat and other such niceties. You will have to pay for it, unfortunately - though it does start with a free trial. Like XBOX Live and PS Plus, really.

There's no region locking for the Switch, meaning you can play games from Japan on a North American console. That isn't relevant to me, because I play RPGs, but...that could be cool!

Takahashi is up next, and he's the head honcho from software. He highlights how the Switch inherits parts from other consoles. Also relevant, there *is* going to be a touch screen for the Switch.

A basic introduction to the Switch is shown.

Next up is more interesting - play styles! TV Mode allows you to, er, play on TV. Tabletop Mode has you stand the screen up and use the Joycons as separate controls. Handheld Mode has it act like the GamePad, or a Game Boy Advance. Battery life varies from game to game - from 2.5h to 6h. You *can* play while charging the system, though, so that's good! The screen, as mentioned before, is a touchscreen. Also, you can connect to Wi-Fi, as said - but you can also connect with wireless! Which...isn't really surprising, since it is portable :V

Koizumi is up next, talking about the joycons. They're initially connected to a "dock" while in TV mode, but are synced to the Switch proper. They take some cues from the PS4 controller, in that the analog sticks can be clicked, and you can capture gameplay. They also inherit NFC technology from the Wii U, allowing you to use amiibos! Each Joy-Con can also be used as a fully-functional controller - with a A/B/X/Y and joystick, as well as L and R buttons! They're also small enough to fit into your hands readily. They're neat little pieces of technology, if I do say so myself. They have color variations and wrist straps, which also enlarges the L and R buttons. They also function somewhat like Wii Remotes, in that they have motion sensing tech. The Joy-Con R can also sense objects in front of it. And...the left Joy-Con can function as a water glass. Due to an HD Rumble system. Definitely more involving.

Two new games can be played with this advancement in controller technology! The first...appears to be a western shoot-out game? You know the type. Further on in the commercial it seems to be more of a...party-style game? Sort of like...gah, I know there's a game like this, but I don't know what it is. This is called 1-2-Switch. It uses the abilities of the Switch to have the players act out scenes. I guess? Or maybe it is mostly western shoot-out-like-stuff, since the producer says you don't have to look at the screen. It's definitely used for parties, at least. It launches with the Switch. Might be the bundled title. ...I wouldn't pay for it, at least. :V

The next game is focused on single-player. It's...well, the possible genre is a lot less evident than the last. Maybe a fighting game? Has a salaryman and a schoolgirl duking it out - oh, and they grew weird boxing arms. It's definitely fighting of some sort.

Yep. It's definitely a fighting game. Use the Joy-Cons as motion controllers to control your weird arm-thing's movements, and use the control stick to move I guess. It's called Arms...which is. Uh. Accurate, I guess.

But yeah. Your character's movements are mostly performed by motion controls. The only button you use is...like, L and R, for jumping. It's a bit of an "easy to play, hard to master" game. There are also powerful special attacks you can unleash. Multiplayer is wireless or split screen (or Wi-Fi). No concrete release date, besides spring. They seem to be a new IP - that is to say

Splatoon is coming to the Switch! This ink-based shooter (where you try to cover the most turf with ink to win, rather than shoot out foes - though that does help a bit) was pretty popular on the Wii U, and it's definitely getting some upgrades going to the Switch - among others, definitely new hairstyles, and also definitely some new weapons.

Oh, and it seems to be a bit of a misnomer to call it Splatoon - rather, it's Splatoon 2! New weaponry includes dual-wielded ink guns, which are tied to the joycons, maybe? However, you can use pro controllers! And gyro controls, as per Splatoon tradition. It's coming this summer! Weapon and stage updates will still come! There's something else I forgot to type! Whoops!

New game! Set in...pretty modern day city? ...And Mario appears from the sewer! ...I guess he is a plumber.

But yeah, Mario seems to be sort-of invading the real world with platforming shenanigans! Definitely some really varied environments in this title. Also a stylishly-dressed Bowser. Who can toss his cap. And so can Mario! Necessity is the mother of invention, I guess. And Bowser's nefarious plan this time is to...marry Peach! Who'da thunk. (everyone)

Anyways, this new, cap-tossing game in called Super Mario Odyssey! This time, Mario's hat is sentient. Which is why it acts like a boomerang, I guess. Either way, it's a large, sandbox-ish game, like 64 or Sunshine. And Mario has leaped into the real world! Or as close as he'll get. Sorry, Mario. Mario's sentient cap is tied to Switch mechanics, of course. Odyssey is coming in the Holiday season; seems like a bad way to get Cool Cash but w/e.

Monolith Soft is making a new game, it seems! They were behind the Xenoblade series, and this looks pretty similar. Current trailer is standard RPGish vows and stuff, though there are also some giiiiiiiant life forms that are pretty typical of Xenoblade games. Oh, and a fancy sword. That's only been in the original Chronicles, but it's still significant. That's 2/3rds of the games!

And it's revealed to be...Xenoblade 2! ...Wait, what?! What happened to Xenoblade Chronicles X?! Is that no longer a game?

Koei Techmo and Team Ninja are also making something. Something Fire Emblem, it looks like! I know that Falchion. And that shield style. And gems. Yeah, it's Fire Emblem. Also the theme.

There's words but it's Japanese. I don't know what you want me to say.

Ah! Fire Emblem Warriors is the Fire Emblem game, which explains some familiar weapons in there. "Warriors" games combine a lot of elements from a series's history and sort of group together in an action game setting. That's why I was able to quickly identify the sword - it appeared in the franchise before!

80 games are currently in development. That's a lot!

Dragon Quest X and XI are also on the Switch! ...And another?! Oh, Dragon Quest Heroes I and II! ...That's a lot of Warriors-style games. Wow.

Another new game! By ATLUS?! Beat still my heart. Oh, and it's MegaTen's 25th anniversary game! You can tell because of the pentagram. Oh, and cool-looking demons! Cool-looking...creeping-me-out demons. I don't feel comfortable here.

Oh and Apocalypse Odin. Huh. (Odin's a pretty huge player in Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse, so he got a redesign. It seems weird to be using that redesign in the new game, but eh.)

The name popped up but it's still in Japanese. ARG

Another Square Enix game! Way more old-styley. Project Octopath Traveler.

ATLUS game is just new Shin Megami Tensei game for 25th anniversary. No information yet. D:

Sega will be on the Switch. So will Skyrim! Oh my god my arm is hurting. But yeah, now you can Skyrim on the go. Cool, I guess?

Suda51 appears! He's also developing. New No More Heroes game, it appears, which is surprising since he skipped the Wii U's generation completely. He's also hyping that it's waaaaaaaaay easier to develop for the Switch than for the Wii U.

There's an overuse of the word switch in this presentation.

EA is also developing for the Switch! ...Yay?

Look, we're getting to the point where I don't have a lot to say. Also my arm is hurting a lot.

Man, I really hope hat-jumping in the new Mario game has some sort of home-in controls...

There also appears to be another Disgaea game coming to the Switch. And Just Dance!. And Street Fighter! ...And Minecraft! And...F-Zero?! Wow, first time for everything (since...what, the GameCube?).

Quick run-down of everything that comes with the Switch. Pretty much everything I've already covered, and good-will messages from Nintendo of Europe and Nintendo of America.

Honestly, I'm pretty excited for the Switch! New Mario games, Dragon Quest, and Shin Megami Tensei... Really, I'm just about set.

Also Breath of the Wild is available tomorrow in New York.

Pre-orders start in Japan on the 21st.

BotW trailer! Ganon is pretty much a primal evil by now. And...Deku Tree? It's looking pretty epic, at least. And...full voice acting?! Or that could just be a trailer thing. 

The logo also looks sort of...old? Maybe it's supposed to be a re-telling of Zelda 1. I don't know.

Also I think it launches March 3.

Aaaaaaaaand that's it! My arm can finally rest! As I said, I'm hyped about the Switch, because it has sweet, delicious RPG goodness. And I'm all about RPG goodness. You guy's thoughts? Any games you're excited for? Let me know in the comments! ...Which I probably won't respond to until tomorrow. No school or not, I do still have to sleep.
Lief Katano
Lief Katano

: If I had a gil for all the fiends...

Myers-Briggs Type : ~nope~
Alignment : Lawful Neutral

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Switch Direct - 1/12/17 :: Comments

Meyneth

Post 13th January 2017, 12:18 am by Meyneth

I don't know what you know about Xenoblade X, but it's more of a spiritual successor then a straight up sequel, witch is what Xenoblade two looks to be. since Xenoblade two seems to be set in the same universe.

Back to top Go down

Nopon

Post 13th January 2017, 12:24 am by Nopon

My reaction to Arms was: "Is this Jojo?"

Anyway, hyped for Mario (love 3d exploration), fire emblem (that music), xenoblade (aaaaaaaaaah!), zelda (I EARGASMED!)

might end up throwing bonus/tax return at it o^o

Back to top Go down

Lief Katano

Post 13th January 2017, 12:28 am by Lief Katano

Meyneth wrote:I don't know what you know about Xenoblade X, but it's more of a spiritual successor then a straight up sequel, witch is what Xenoblade two looks to be. since Xenoblade two seems to be set in the same universe.
I didn't pick up on that, but given that this is the same genre that Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy are in I think it's fair to guess that numbered sequels don't directly follow from each other. I swear to whatever.
Arupon wrote:My reaction to Arms was: "Is this Jojo?"
The part where the characters appeared above their characters definitely gave me a JoJo vibe. :V

Back to top Go down

Caprizant

Post 13th January 2017, 12:35 am by Caprizant

Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey are the big ones for me so far. And Project Octopath Traveler looks pretty neat.

It's amazing that BotW is a launch title, and Odyssey is the kind of Mario game I've been waiting for since Galaxy.

Also, that trailer is making me interested in Xenoblade now. :V

I'm pretty impressed with the hardware itself, too. It's basically the ultimate Nintendo console. If it's true that Gamecube games will be on Virtual Console, then that's really cool.

This is honestly the console the Wii U could've been and more. I haven't been this hyped for a console since the Wii.

EDIT: Also, can't wait to have the ultimate glass-of-ice shaking action.

Back to top Go down

Lief Katano

Post 13th January 2017, 9:11 am by Lief Katano

upvoted for "can't wait to have the ultimate glass-of-ice shaking action"

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down