Severe Thunderstorms

Go down

Severe Thunderstorms

So today I learned they can be really terrifying to drive in at night.

I was more than halfway home when I ran into the trailing edge of a storm that had been hammering my town for about 2 hours already. In less than two miles I went from traveling 55 mph in a light rain to less than 30 in very heavy rain, barely able to see anything. I could see the tail lights of a couple cars in front of me, then a red mass of lights beyond that. Then of course I have the asshole behind me tailgating with the high beams on. I couldn't really see out my windshield clearly except for the one shadow from my seat and head. I somehow survived driving like this for about 5 miles.

I elected to get out of the sea of traffic as soon as possible, especially after coming up to a warning sign that indicated that my preferred exit a few miles ahead was heavily congested. I swear as I was coming up the off-ramp at 25 mph that the back end was slipping slightly. Once I got onto the road I almost immediately started regretting my decision as it turns out the road I choose was pretty well flooded, not in the sense it was unpassable, but in the sense there was more than plenty of water on the road for a 3,300 lb truck to go waterskiing at less than 25 mph. Heck I slowed down to just 15 mph and Ayumi was still happily skipping like a stone about every 1,000 feet.

Oh and I still couldn't see much of anything because her headlights become pretty ineffective once the lenses get wet and scatter the light. It's kinda of scary not being able to clearly make out the lines dividing traffic.

I then spent about 10 minutes in a nearby commuter parking lot waiting for the storm to die down and then made it home safely. Somehow.

Truthseeker4449
Admin

: Killer Loli :

Myers-Briggs Type : INTP-T
Alignment : Chaotic Neutral

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: diggdeliciousredditstumbleuponslashdotyahoogooglelive

Severe Thunderstorms :: Comments

Post on 2nd May 2016, 10:23 pm by Nopon

I am so glad to hear you made it home safe, sounds horrifying to be out in that

Back to top Go down

Post on 2nd May 2016, 10:30 pm by Burnin' Bunnies

As much as I love thunderstorms, I've never liked being in a moving car during them. It is very high tension just being a passenger. Glad to hear you traveled safely!

Back to top Go down

Post on 2nd May 2016, 11:29 pm by Guest

Glad you're okay. I know how terrifying all that is...though, I don't think I've been in a heavy traffic situation during a strong storm... Scared

Our headlights do the same thing when the rain gets that heavy....almost like looking in a foggy mirror....

Back to top Go down

Post on 3rd May 2016, 11:19 pm by TheCapsFan

Thank God you're safe. Did you see the hail?

Back to top Go down

Post on 5th May 2016, 5:59 pm by Truthseeker4449

Never saw any hail, but I missed most of the storm while down around the College. I only came up on the tail end of it.

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum