Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting Back Behind The Wheel

Go down

Getting Back Behind The Wheel Empty Getting Back Behind The Wheel

Man is my driving fairly rusty. I had not driven in like two weeks now. Prior to that I had been driving my truck for close to a month and was used to its handling. So when my dad unexpectedly put me behind the wheel of his 2014 Ford Focus because he felt too tired to drive home from Harbor Freight, I struggled a little. After nearly rear ending another car two months ago, I didn't think I would be given the keys to his car again.

Right away, I start to feel around for a clutch pedal, only to realize there was none because the car was an automatic. So after somewhat shakily putting it into gear due to my nervelessness, I reflexively punched the gas like I would in my truck. Now my accelerator in my truck only moves about an inch or two and I don't actually floor it in my truck until after I fully engage the clutch, so it's not like the car shot forward. Still jerked harder than I wanted though.

For about the first hundred feet getting out of the parking lot, I felt awkward and also a little nerviness. Got into the main road, probably the only time I gave her a lot of gas, and learned the hard way that the steering wheel snaps back to center when you release it, as opposed to the more gradual return that I'm used to in both my uncle's Acura RSX-S and the slower return in my truck.

For those who don't understand why I would be letting go of the wheel, the front wheels will actually return to straight ahead on their own while the car is moving. So during the final stage of making a turn, I release my grip of the steering wheel let it spin back to center. I learned this technique from my uncle. BTW, my truck's steering wheel doesn't return all the way to center so I have to grab the wheel to finish the process, but by then the wheels are only a quarter turn to being straight.

Then I drove on an undivided road for a while in the fast lane and kept finding myself being scared of sideswiping another car. Clearly managed not to sideswipe any cars and I think I actually stayed in my lane quite well and I don't think I made any sudden corrections like my dad was doing on the way out to the store.

The passage through what is often the most congested and unpredictably traffic in my area was relatively uneventful

So overall I did fine, but I'm rusty after not driving for so long. Not exactly what I should be showing a guy proctoring my driver's license test.
Truthseeker4449
Truthseeker4449
Admin

: Killer Loli :

Myers-Briggs Type : INTP-T
Alignment : Chaotic Neutral

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Getting Back Behind The Wheel :: Comments

Meyneth

Post 29th July 2015, 8:10 pm by Meyneth

Sounds like you did well! It's weird going from a stick to an automatic, but better then rushing the other way eh?

Back to top Go down

Truthseeker4449

Post 29th July 2015, 8:22 pm by Truthseeker4449

True. Usually I have no problem with hopping into an automatic and driving away, but I guess because I've only driven stick for the past month, I forgot how to be gentle with the gas.

Back to top Go down

Meyneth

Post 29th July 2015, 8:27 pm by Meyneth

Same, I went from driving my Saturn Stick, and I recently started driving my Mom's Honda Odyssey( Which is an automatic and a mini van. I seemed to have the opposite issue, I forgot how touchy the brake is.

Back to top Go down

Truthseeker4449

Post 29th July 2015, 8:55 pm by Truthseeker4449

Braking isn't really an issue for me. I generally coast or use engine braking to begin with, then gradually start applying the brake and using more force as necessary. Then there's usually a jerk at the end and I push the brake down harder. Though it does help that I keep a large following distance, even starting off from a red light. I purposely accelerate slower than most to build following distance as quick as I can.

I understand the issue with the longer wheelbase though. My truck is about the same length as a mini van, if not a little longer. It generally takes a few tries to get a decent parking job at times...

Back to top Go down

Meyneth

Post 29th July 2015, 9:11 pm by Meyneth

I bet, There is a huge difference between a truck and a Pick up truck.

Back to top Go down

Truthseeker4449

Post 29th July 2015, 9:31 pm by Truthseeker4449

Did you mean car? :P

Most, if not all, trucks that the average person would drive in their average lifetime are either built as pickups, built on a pickup chassis, are based off of pickup trucks and share most major parts with them.

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down