A slime appears! Command?

Go down

A slime appears! Command?

Post by Lief Katano on 21st January 2014, 9:05 pm

Today, Dragon Quest X and Final Fantasy XIV are crossing over. To celebrate this, I'm LPing the first Dragon Quest game on the NES.

"But Lief, what about the Final Fantasy I/IX LP?"

This will be until Feburary 3rd, when the event ends. (The final update will be posted then.) The Final Fantasy I LP will be postponed until then to focus on this.

As for the Final Fantasy IX LP...look, making an LP on the same computer I play Final Fantasy XIV on was a bad idea, okay?

Anyway, the first update!

Chapter The First - The Dark Dragon
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
That was from the Game Boy Color version, by the way. The quality...won't increase.

"Ryu" (well, Ryū (well, 竜)) is "Dragon" in Japanese, or so I'm told. Ergo, we have a Dragon Warrior.

Message Speed is, well, Message Speed. That's...really it.

Also, a little(?) known fact, but a true one: your name affects your stat growth. Having the name "Ryu", for example, gives a bonus to Strength and HP growths. Lief makes you have higher MP and Agility. I think I like Ryu more.

You wake up in a room. You're naked except for a strategically placed helmet. There's an old man sitting in front of you. You try to move, but he traps you in speech before you can.

If you're someone that thinks that Erdrick is the hero of the original Dragon Quest (or thinks that he's the hero of the Dragon Quest series), the first line of dialogue in the game proves you wrong.

Then he tells us that Erdrick fought demons with a Ball of Light. I don't need that mental image, thanks.

You know what I find weird? "Demons" is mentioned here, but religion is a no-no topic for early Nintendo of America games. Maybe they let it slide, considering demons are multi-religional?

So you could say that the Dragonlord stole Erdrick's b*hit*

The Ball of Light is rather a magical artifact that somehow maintains world peace. Guess it's like a seal for demons, or something...but it's not destroyed, clearly, so how are the demons not still sealed?

That first line is "The Dragonlord". Whoops. Anyway, we get to get the entire three treasure chests in the room.

And the guards are knowledgeable. Yay.

To get a treasure chest, you have to get on top of it, open the menu, and select "Take". You'll do that every time you want to do anything, by the way. This might seem tedious, but then you realize that every other console RPG at this time (Final Fantasy wasn't invented yet) did this, and it becomes a bit more understandable.

Why they proceeded to do this after Final Fantasy was released, I don't know. But you're talking about a game series that has held on to the same basic gameplay concept (and victory theme) from game to game. That's the least of your concern.

Thankfully, this was alleviated in the SNES and GBC re-releases.

Well, I haven't played this version, but I'm pretty sure of who you're talking about, yes.

FOR NAPKINS!!!: Never does the king speak of it, but he must be suffering much. Ryu, please save the princess.

FOR NAPKINS!!!: Return to the Inn for a rest if thou art wounded in battle, Ryu. Sleep heals all.

Basic RPG stuff, but this is one of the older ones. I find an explanation acceptable.

"But Lief you do know about this stuff" Shut up, I'm letting the game express itself.

FOR NAPKINS!!!: Once used, the key will disappear, but the door will be opened and you will be able to pass through.

There's a door in the way of getting out.

You suck, Dragon Warrior.

So let's unlock the door and get out of here.

Thankfully, later games removed the Stairs command.

Talking to the king here will result in him telling us how much EXP we need for the next level.

And allows us to save - I mean, write our deeds down on the Imperial Scrolls of Honor. That's what it's called in game.

Better then nothing, I guess.

It also has three save slots. Which is weird, when you consider this game has lower replay value then Final Fantasy, which has an entire one.

This is Tantegel Castle, which rules over the continent Alefgard. The castle town is known as "Brecconary" only in this version; otherwise it is known as Tantegel. Dunno why.

Brecconary is a hop and skip away from the castle. To the south, you'll see the Dragonlord's castle. This is probably the first RPG ever where you aren't running around like a chicken with your head cut off; you have a clear-cut goal.

To the left, you'll see Ryu's status window, which pops up when you're inactive.

Imagine Frog in Chrono Trigger (on the SNES).

Now imagine that applied to everyone in the world.

That is Dragon Quest's dialogue in a nutshell.

Sadly, it was removed for the GBC release (the SNES release was Japan-only). Eniiiiiiiiix.

Again, this is useful for first-time RPG players, which make up a large portion of the playerbase - Dragon Quest's goal (I think) was to introduce RPGs to a larger audience because they were so complicated before.

...huh. They don't have a selling option.

We have two options to roll with; offensive-inclined or defensive-inclined. Defensive-inclined requires touching the Bamboo Pole, so we roll with the Club and Clothes.

Equipment is automatically applied as soon as you buy it. At least, the Club I just bought was. Now, before you go further, look back at the screenshot where Ryu was on the world map:

Study him closely. Got it?

Look at him now.

Now he has a sword.

My mind is blown.

The Dragon's Scale is the thing we want right now.

Now we are a Dragon Warrior.

The Dragon's Scale increases Defense by 2. This is as much as a set of clothes.

I like it, because it exists in a slot of its own, rather then taking up space. An extra bit of defense never hurt anybody, either (obviously), although you seem to always have a chance to do at least one damage.

Now that we're fully kitted out, let's start getting the most valuable resource for any roleplayer: EXP!

SlimesTM are the first enemy you'll ever encounter in any Dragon Quest - not encountering one is nigh impossible. They have all of 3 HP, and inflict 0-1 damage per attack on our clothed hero. On a naked one, he inflicts 1-2 damage. (All calculations don't include a Dragon Scale.) Ryu with a club will hurt him for 1-3 damage, possibly one-hitting him.

Of course, I have to hit him 3 times before he goes away.

Slimes drop 1 EXP and 1 Gold, handily noted on the side bar.

Ghosts show off an actually kind of cool feature in Dragon Quest: hit points differ between enemies. A Ghost can have 6-7 HP. They can inflict 2-4 damage and we can deal 1-2 damage. This doesn't bode well for us, but let's try our chances, shall we?

Sweet! Excellent moves are basically Critical Hits. I have no idea what the damage formula is for it, but I don't know how damage works in general. We still won't try to beat one up soon, but they give a cool 3 EXP and gold.

Red Slimes are a step up from Slimes; they can deal 1-2 damage and have 4 HP. They still have the same defensive numbers, though, but we can't one shot 'em without a lucky critical.

Red Slimes drop 1 EXP, but 2 gold. Nice.

Ryu's also looking a bit beat up, but just onetwo more encounters...

Woo! (The window is red because Ryu is in undescribeable pain. Sorry, buddy.)

It only gives a Strength bonus of 1 and a hit point bonus of 7, but hey, that's still good, I think. It means we can one-shot Red Slimes!

Ryu is in so much pain, everything's turning red.

You're a special kind of idiot, Ryu.

...I could've sworn this would lead to something, but apparently I'm mistaken. Damn it, censorship, stop being so damn inconsistent!

Seriously, it led to something in the Game Boy Color version, and I'd bet the SNES version, too. That something being implied happy fun time if you stayed at the inn with the girl in your "party". Also it called Ryu a hunk (or something similar). I wouldn't complain, but Ryu's in so much pain parts of the world are turning red. I want to make it up to him. ):

Hm, interesting...

Cursing, asofar as I can figure out, prevents you from going into the castle and saving your game. Whoop dee doo.

Look at him! He's bleeding from every place imaginable! Of course he wants a room!

22 HP.

'Em ghosts have nothing on us.

Now we go into this cave!

Where it is pitch fucking black. Torch!

...I got too used to Radiant spells.

Navigating around here mostly consists of bumping around, trying to find your way around with your limited vision before your torch runs out. There aren't any encounters, weirdly enough.

Stairs!

You know what's weird? Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light uses this mechanic, even though you never even had a torch in Final Fantasy. Ever.

It also had limited inventory space, which Final Fantasy...had, but it was per character and there was a storage system, which channeled Dragon Quest. But I disgress, chest!

So. That was Erdrick. Writing something on a tablet hidden in a chest that his descendant - who may or may not exist - may never find.

This was cleaned up greatly in the remakes. The Tablet was a tablet, rather then a thing stashed in a chest. The Isle of Dragons wasn't called the Isle of Dragons, given that Erdrick didn't kill a dragon there (okay, there were dragon enemies, but none of any note). And you didn't have to feel your way around.

Weirder, though, was that he knew his descendant's name. By now, Erdrick was established not to have psychic powers.

Drakees have 5-6 HP and deal and take 1-3 damage now. 

Sweet, a cave! How much do you want to bet I'd get my ass kicked if I (somehow) got in right now?

I grinded a bit to the next level, getting:

No idea why the hell it's called Response Speed. As it increases, your Defense also increases - it seems to be 2 Agility = 1 Defense. This was changed in the remake for whatever reason, instead with a new stat called Guard. Agility seemed to determine attack order(?), rather then it always being you > enemy.

Ryu also gains 2 HP, but more importantly...

He gains the ability to cast magic!

Heal costs 24 MP, and it restores 30 or more health.

This cool old guy is in the castle. He'll restore Ryu's MP for free, making him a useful alternative to the inn in the early stages of the game while you're scrounging up money.

Anyway, let's end this update now.

See you!

Thief Lief Katano appeared!
Please play Final Fantasy Record Keeper | RW: Ramza Soul Break: Shout (241 MND) ID: SGuM
...I'd have four gil. Which isn't a lot, but it's annoying that there's more than one of 'em.
Lief Katano

: If I had a gil for all the fiends...

Myers-Briggs Type : ~nope~
Alignment : Lawful Neutral

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A slime appears! Command?

Post by Truthseeker4449 on 21st January 2014, 9:42 pm

Points for an original Let's Play name.

Truthseeker4449
Admin

: Killer Loli :

Myers-Briggs Type : INTP-T
Alignment : Chaotic Neutral

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lief Katano on 24th January 2014, 11:16 pm

Chapter The Second - Nothing Actually Happenseth

Spoiler:

Thou hast chosen well for thy hopes to ride on. Cool Shades or something

Magicians have 10-13 HP and can cast Hurt, which...hurts stuff. Yeah. Remember the stuff about it being marketed as a beginner's RPG and stuff.

And boy, does it hurt.

A little too much, I'm afraid. Let's skedaddle.

Oooooooor not. Ryu is simultaneously the luckiest bastard alive and the unluckiest.

Thankfully, civilization is nearby.

I...think this is the town of Garinham?

Pff, silly RPG old man. There's no way that could be it.

I think.

Seems plausible. Maybe.

In other news, there's an awkward amount of naughty Nurse Joy stuff.

I hear Ryu's wallet crying.

Unfortunately, that's it for now, 'cause we need a Key to enter further.

Going back to Brecconary to see if there's a shield there, Ryu gets another level! In addition to the Agility increase, he gains 7 HP, 10 MP, and a new spell:

Hurt costs 2 MP and deals up to 15 damage. This is a fairly nifty spell, it seems.

Also I found some art of Ryu (well, the hero, but for us it's Ryu) casting the spells.

It's pretty cool, I'd think.

Although this one for Ryu's next spell, Sleep, makes no sense.

I mean, seriously, you can only challenge one opponent at a time!

I hate everything right now.

Turns out Magicians go down pretty easily if you can beat them at their own game. (Experience 4, Gold 10)

Accuracy in Dragon Warrior seems to be a set value for each enemy, rather then based on stuff like your Agility or theirs or whatever. Slimes have a 1.5625% chance of dodging.

Embarrassingly enough, the final boss has a hit chance of 100%, and is one of the few enemies to do so. The other, also embarrassingly, is another boss: the Golem.

Though it being a Golem might have something to do with it...

Also, either I did wrong or whoever said that EXP and gold from a battle changes was right, because I could've sworn magicians dropped 10 gold. Or at least the one I killed did. No problem, though; I can get that leather shield now!

Also found out that there's an auto-selling thing for equipment.

(LPer's note: I didn't actually do this, as a Small Shield provides more of a defense bonus.)

Ryu gets an update to his sprite along with his shieldification!

Bridges typically signify an increase in power, or so I'm told.

Lies.

Imagine lava from Final Fantasy. That is, in essence, poison marsh.

Painful lies.

And this is when I learned to heal whenever you see the sea turn red. The end.

(That cave leads to the next destination. I am level 4. I am not ready for it. Also I forgot a Torch.)

'Sup king.

Yeah, rather then Game Over us, Dragon Warrior revives you at the last place you saved (the location) and halves your gold. This is something that continued with later games, possibly as a small mercy for Dragon Warrior II. Then they continued it with III
DWIII spoilers:
possibly because they were set in the same world, or
perhaps because "why the fuck not?", and continued to this day. Well, probably not in Dragon Quest X, but you catch my drift.

Aha! New enemy! Magidrakees are magical drakees. They have access to the Hurt spell, and have 12-15 HP. All spells have a 100% chance to work on 'em, so.

Of course, in the case of Hurt, this doesn't mean that it will work well.

They give 5 EXP and 11 gold. At least, the one I just killed did.

More killing magical bats nets Ryu a level up!

He gains 5 strength, 2 Agility, and 4 HP and MP.

I have no idea how something misses. I, for one, blame the shield.

This is totally off topic, but to get the best stats in the game, one must name your character !. You start off with 2 more Strength and Agility compared to Ryu. Or I guess you could name yourself !   ####, where # is the name you want. It only counts the first four letters of your name, see, and that's if they're not spaces.

Slimes run away from me now. This wouldn't be such a problem if they weren't a free 1 gold and EXP.

Also, embarrassingly enough, I mistook my EXP counter for my gold counter. ;_;

http://www.vizzed.com/vizzedboard/retro/user_screenshots/208387/NES--Dragon%20Warrior_Jan24%2021_39_45.png" alt="" />
Another level up nets Ryu 4 strength and three HP and MP. No agility, sadly.

Meaning I probably should be using this for defensive gear, but screw that. The low damage numbers are kind of bugging me.

Plus it means Ryu has 26 Attack. High attack turns me on like asses, see.

Defense doesn't really, unless it's Fire Emblem and it's high enough no damage is dealt and it's a game that makes that little "tink" sound. Then...  Severe Nosebleed

Telltale sign you're a nerd: things in video games turn you on.

Anyway, on to less sexually-oriented things! This is a Scorpion! It has 16-20 HP. They give 6 EXP and 14 gold.

Aaaaaaaaaaand we're running! See, skeletons have 23-30 HP and are currently dealing 5-11 damage to Ryu. We can do 3-7 without using Hurt. Ciao!

Yay, new armor! Now skeletons can only do up to 10 damage to us!

Anyway, this seems like a good place to stop. I think. I don't know. I'm just really tired. What about you, Ryu?

...Ryu?

Please play Final Fantasy Record Keeper | RW: Ramza Soul Break: Shout (241 MND) ID: SGuM
...I'd have four gil. Which isn't a lot, but it's annoying that there's more than one of 'em.
Lief Katano

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 25th January 2014, 12:29 am

......Did you seriously get turned on by a scorpion? Whut

Back to top Go down

Post by Lief Katano on 25th January 2014, 7:56 am

What? No!

Lief Katano

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 25th January 2014, 10:54 am

Well, you did go Severe Nosebleed just before posting the shot of the scorpion, then just below the shot, you said this:

Lief wrote:Telltale sign you're a nerd: things in video games turn you on.

I guess you could have been referring to the statement before the scorpion, but it still seemed weird...

Back to top Go down

Post by Lief Katano on 25th January 2014, 11:04 am

I was, in fact, talking about the statement before the scorpion. I'm not weird. Just a nerd.

Besides, there are scorpions in real life, and those don't turn me on.

Lief Katano

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lief Katano on 3rd February 2014, 5:03 pm

So, hey. It's February 3rd, the end of the event, and I didn't finish this Let's Play. Whoops.

To be honest, Dragon Warrior is a dreadfully boring game. Most of the game is grinding up levels. You have to go through menus to do anything, even for doors and (most of all) stairs.

Now, if I had any pride, I would finish this up anyways. If I had slightly less pride, I would activate a Game Genie Code that lets me get 255 EXP off of Slimes, Red Slimes, and Drackees and grind off of those to get to a level I can carry myself through the game with, because there doesn't seem to be a working Game Genie code that gives you an uber-high level (or even a mediocre-high level) without completing the game for you. If I had none, I would just use the code and show you guys the ending.

Unfortunately, I cannot find the screenshots from the emulator, as the Vizzed one doesn't support Game Genie. So.

Yeah.

Welp.

Lief Katano

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 3rd February 2014, 11:34 pm

I'm guessing you want to archive this then?

Back to top Go down

Post by Lief Katano on 4th February 2014, 8:08 am

Yeah.

Lief Katano

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down